•Alpha •

Chapter 18

I knew it.

I told Cedric this would happen. I didn't expect it to happen so soon but it has.

I look towards the woods and watch one of our pack warriors running back to us, carrying a wounded warrior on his shoulders. I turn my attention to Cedric and our eyes meet as I frown.

He regrets it now.

"Get into a group of 10, retrieve our wounded! Ladies, gather up the children and take them inside. Lock all the doors. Anyone who can fight, come out and protect the house. Make a circle!" I shout orders and watch as they're quick to do as I said.

"I sense 30 approaching." Cedric approaches me and stands by my side. His height makes him tower above me. I watch his arms tense up as he makes fists with his hands. Just having him here makes me feel calm. I grab onto the closest hand to me and the tension is gone just like that.

"They've already trespassed onto your property..." I watch as our pack members come running back and seeking shelter inside the house. "How many of us are out there now?"

"That's the last of us. Set a perimeter! Make sure no one gets in the house!" Cedric seconds my command.

"You don't have an security measures like the ones back home?" I ask him, thinking about my pack and our defenses in place. One thing that would come in clutch is the wolfsbane filled sprinklers that we have set around the pack.

"No, my warriors aren't trained to withstand that." I growl.

"Then what do you have?" As I say those words, wolves come running from the trees. They seemed to all be coming from one general direction. They weren't smart to surround us. By doing that they'd divide us and it would be easier to fight us off.

"Protect your pack. Use your warriors as a last resort. No one from this pack is dying today."

"Anthony what-" I run towards them, I hear Cedric shout my name. I also hear him tell his warriors to stand back.

My heart begins to beat at a fast pace. My adrenaline starts to kick in as I run faster. This. This is what I'm meant to do. The wind in my hair and the expression on the rogue's face as I approach him without stopping. I see hesitance in his expressions but he quickly masks it with anger.

Anger... anger that is drenched in fear. Fear that I want to touch with my fingers, feel with my teeth.

I leap into him, my left hand reaching for his jaw, and my right hand for his shoulder. I pull him apart and my vision goes red as his blood splatters in my eyes.

As I go through them I suddenly sense a powerful presence. Alpha type powerful. So much that I actually stop.

"Cedric!" I yell his name and he transforms into his wolf and runs to the back of the house. He sensed it too.

I don't feel right about it. "Take the last few, leave one for interrogation! I'm going to help your Alpha!" The warrior wolves run to back me up as I run after Cedric.

Something definitely doesn't feel right.

I round the corner and I don't give my mind time to react to what's happening. I run to a kneeling Cedric in human form and a tall man in dark clothing with a machete sized knife coming out from his arm, pointing at his neck.

I accelerate my run and grab the machete, breaking it from the attachment on his arm and stabbing him in the chest.

It's as if time stops in that moment. I looked into the Alpha's red eyes and then down at the broken machete that didn't pierce his chest. Then I look at his other arm and the other machete attached to it, half of it buried into my stomach.