18 | reunited

We take the elevator up to my apartment. Calix's neck is still hidden beneath layers of bandage, and I'm carrying a bag with a bunch of medicines and ointments, but things feel almost normal.

"Wait, you said what?" Calix gasps, and I wince. I'm re-telling the argument I had with my siblings, and... well, I didn't realize how harsh I was being.

Staring at my reflection on the elevator walls, I nod. "Yeah... Do you think they'll forgive me?"

Calix snorts. "I wouldn't. But," he quickly adds as my face falls, "they love you."

I sigh. "That's not a good excuse."

"At least you know that. It'll be okay," he pats the top of my hood, "just be genuine."

The elevator dings to a stop and I step out—before quickly hurrying back in. "No, nope, I don't think I'm ready. Maybe we should go back to the hospital—"

Calix sighs and sticks his arm out to block the elevator doors from sliding close. "You're acting as if you've never been in a fight with your siblings before."

I run a hand through my hair, letting the sweatshirt hood fall down. "We haven't fought in a long time! And usually, when we fight, I always make sure someone's on my team! It's usually Rainbow, but, well, that didn't happen."

"I'm on your team," Calix grins, giving me a thumbs-up. "Now come on, I want to sit on your comfy couch."

Gulping, I step out of the elevator and raise my palm to the apartment door, but it swings open before I even get the chance to touch it.

"I'm going out to find her! It's too dangerous out there, especially with that witch—" Funneh cuts off as she turns and sees me. "Lunar?" She gasps, one arm in a jacket.

"Um... hi?"

"She's back?" Gold shouts, and I see a blur of brown hair as she runs over from the kitchen.

"I've come to—"

Funneh grabs my arm and leads me inside before I get the chance to start my apology. Calix follows us behind, unnoticed.

Rainbow is still sitting at the dining table, her chin resting on the back of her hands.

She raises one eyebrow at me as I take my sunglasses off and sit across from her, hands crossed in front of me.

I feel like a disobedient child—which, to some extent, I am.

"Well?" Rainbow asks.

"I, uh, am sorry."

"For?"

"Hurting your feelings," I mumble quietly. I can feel Funneh, Gold, and Draco's eyes on me.

"I'm sorry too, Lunar. I shouldn't have brought Calix up. It really wasn't my intention to have him hurt, you know?"

I smile. "Yeah, I know."

"Family hug!" Funneh yells. I sigh but still join the huddle.

"Not to break the moment, but do you guys have any food?" Calix's voice breaks the "moment" we were having.

"Calix! I—we didn't see you there!" Rainbow stammers, leaving the huddle. "Is your throat feeling better?"

"They've put some cooling stuff on it, and I think I'm also on some painkillers, so I don't really feel anything right now?" He rubs his neck-cast.

"Oh, you poor child!" Rainbow says, pouring a cup of orange juice for him.

I can't help but snort.