The Water

Have you ever felt a cold that made you forget what warmth feels like? The chill that goes to your bone and wipes your brain of any other thoughts or feelings. The iciness that envelopes you like a past friend.

That is the kind of cold I feel now as I stand in this murky water, staring at my ever changing reflection. The cold stabs at me as I inch my way deeper into the pond, like tiny fingers slowing dragging me in.

I stop, waist deep, and look at the face in front of me.

Come with me, Amelia.

She whispers, her voice even and patient. She takes my hand and holds it in hers.

Please.

She begs. I feel the water slowly move up my torso, biting at me. Shivers make their way to my teeth as I clench my jaws.

We all miss you. We need you. Come with us.

I see flashes of faces among trees. I hear the crunch of leaves as they run, taunting me. My heart aches with longing for the ones who have since passed.

The water nears my collar bones. I look at all the girls I once knew and loved; who slowly left me one by one. I grew alongside them and learned with them. They taught me more about myself than I ever dreamt of knowing.

Their eyes look back at me, warm and welcoming. The water creeps up my spine as it nears the base of my neck. The cold numbs me, freezing me in place like a statue.

I smell the perfume of the woman I first loved as she holds my hand, welcoming me back to her. I taste...

Blood.

I look down as blood slowly drips from my mouth into the water.

Isn't it beautiful?

She asks.

It reminds me of our last night together.

The water enters my mouth and nose. The taste of iron and dirt mix together as the water travels to my lungs. I can't move. I can't breathe. I can only see.

I see the faces of all the young girls and women I knew best. I see all eleven of them, staring at me. I still remember all of their faces. All of their names. All of their screams.

My body begs me to scream, but the bitter water is lodged in my throat, unmoving. My lungs burn and my eyes tear up as I look at my girls.

Slowly, the corners of their lips turn up ever so slightly. They smirk as my heartbeat slows.

Soon, all I feel is the pressure of the water all around me, in my throat and in my lungs.

My old lover leans into me, her icy breath freezing my cheek.

They will find us. They will know what you did. But they will never find you.

She says as she moves her face from mine.

The water will keep you forever.

And she was right.

One by one, the bodies of all my girls were found.
All but one.

*