2 3 | F O Y E T

[5.9]

"you know, that sweet little bracelet is quite a trophy"

"Please state your name and rank for the record."

"Florence Sab—"

"Speak up, please."

Florence looked up from her lap and towards the recording device on the table while clearing her throat. "Florence Sabin. Technical Analysts for the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia," she stated. She avoided Erin Strauss' gaze and instead stared at her cast, focusing on the doodle of Captain America that Jack had drawn on the previous day.

"And how long have you been a member of the BAU?"

"Almost a year and a half," she muttered.

"Have you worked under SSA Aaron Hotchner the entire time?"

Florence thought it was stupid to ask all those questions. They had everything on record, but she went along, not wanting to say the wrong thing and get Hotch in even more trouble. "No ma'am. I've been reporting to the Acting Unit Chief, Derek Morgan, for the last several weeks."

"Who took over the unit because Agent Hotchner's ability to lead the team had become compromised," Strauss stated as if it was a fact instead of an opinion.

"It was to my understanding that he voluntarily stepped down so that the team could continue to do their jobs unhindered and without constant scrutiny from above," Florence said, frowning. Clearly, Strauss was trying to fit this interview to her own agenda.

Straus pursed her lips at Florence's answer before continuing. "And how would you describe Agent Hotchner's behavior recently?"

"Incredibly determined."

"Determined?"

"Yes, determined. There's not much else in your life to think about when a serial killer goes after your wife and child. Agent Hotchner, and this entire team, was determined to track down Foyet and apprehend him."

"But he wasn't apprehended, was he?" Strauss asked rhetorically. "Do you think Agent Hotchner acted unreasonably?"

Florence leaned her elbows on the table and stared Strauss down. "I think that an innocent woman had already been killed, and had Agent Hotchner not stopped Foyet, then a little four-year-old boy was going to be next."

Strauss sighed. "Miss Sabin, you like working for the BAU, correct?"

"Yes," she answered immediately.

"Then I need you to understand that unless I can reconcile an adequate account of Agent Hotchner's investigation into George Foyet, everyone's position on this team is in jeopardy, including yours. And do you remember the agreement made when we hired you at the BAU?"