Chapter 9

"There's a lot of stuff here from The Jewellery Channel," Maddie said, picking up a couple of boxes. "Simulated diamond, garnet... What's kunzite?"

"No idea, but I hope somebody does because I'm going to sell it. Everything."

"Like, on eBay?"

"Exactly that. Sell it and get a bathroom that won't make me go blind."

Mickey's grin matched my own. "Might I suggest a new kitchen as well?"

"Good idea." I wasn't sure I could bring myself to touch any of the appliances downstairs. "But who knows how much this lot'll raise?"

Maddie picked up a paint-by-numbers picture of a boy and dog. "Someone'll buy it. It's all new. I mean, I know someone who sold an old carrier bag on eBay for one pound fifty."

"I can only hope."

Unbeknownst to her, Aunt Ellie had given me a second chance at life, and I intended to seize it with both hands. The eBay app on my phone was about to become my new best friend. But first I needed to get through the next few days.

"Has anyone seen a packet of sheets or a duvet? I need to work out where I'm going to sleep tonight."

"In Eleanor's bed?" Maddie suggested.

"That's a bit weird, don't you think?"

"It's only for a night. Dave can bring your bed over tomorrow."

My bedstead and mattress, the only furniture I had left, were sitting in the back of Dave's van. He'd planned to come with us today, but an emergency at work meant he'd had to change someone's fuse box instead.

"I think I'll just sleep on the sofa. It's big enough."

Maddie wrinkled her nose. "It's kind of grubby."

I agreed, although it was difficult to tell with its hideous pattern. "Then let's find something to cover it up."

The light was fading fast as we rummaged through the cupboards. Maddie hit the jackpot downstairs with a set of blue-and-orange polka-dot bed linen, while Mickey found a box of matches in the kitchen drawer and lit a few of the candles from Aunt Ellie's nicknack shelf.

The usable rooms were soon bathed in a flickering light, and we gathered in the lounge. I sagged against the wall next to the door while Mickey thumped Maddie on the back as she had a coughing fit.

"Must be all that dust. Drinks. We need drinks."

That meant venturing back to the kitchen. "I'll go and look for something."

One cupboard held a jar of Nescafé, while I found three chipped mugs in another. The rack next to the sink yielded a new packet of scouring pads, and I made the most of them.

Coffee. I needed coffee. The kettle seemed safe enough, but just as I was about to turn it on, I remembered the lack of electricity. Heat and light were things I'd always taken for granted, and now that I was stuck in Lilac Cottage, I developed a new appreciation for the basics in life. It would have to be cold water all around.

"What are you doing for dinner?" Maddie asked.

"I haven't thought that far ahead. Do you think there's a supermarket anywhere near?"

"In this place? I doubt it." She made a face. Maddie was as much of a city girl as me.

"How about going to the pub?" Mickey suggested. "We drove past one on the way into the village."

"Great idea. My treat," Maddie said.

I tried to protest, but she wouldn't listen.

"Liv, you've got enough on your plate without starving as well."