4.

"We were like gods at the dawning of the world, and our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other."
—Unknown

Things hadn't been the same.

The light, easygoing friendship that they'd shared for months now seemed to be nonexistent. It was weird, she thought, how someone could change so drastically overnight. One moment they may be someone who you'd simply hug when you were sad or called when you were bored, and the next they were this thing, this whole world in which you could easily get lost in.

Things were different now, every graze or gesture sent a burning, shooting sensation up her spine. As a burning inferno in the dead of night, she drew in closer and closer to his bright, gleaming flames. And against all voice, against all reason, against everything that told her this was wrong, she'd still drawn closer and closer to the unforgiving, scorching fire.

She could feel the bass reverberating, pumping through the crevices of the walls. He knew how much she hated parties, and she knew that he knew. Which is why, naturally, they ended up in a strangers bedroom, the occasional collective cheer from downstairs as the song changed the only sound being heard. Their limbs were entangled. Eyes as bright as the moon that hung high in the sky as a small, gleaming sliver of a whole new universe.

Their whispered words of love and promises traveled and swirled around them as a protective wall. Everything else was blocked out but them, and it seemed, then, as though nothing could threaten what they had, as though the world they'd built for themselves was unbreakable.

"I wish we could stay like this forever," Juniper quietly said. Distantly, longingly, hopefully, clinging to him as a child to their mother.

She had to admit, she was, for the first time, drunk. He pulled her closer to him, cooing her giggles down to a low hum as he heard footsteps briefly pass by the closed door on the far side of the room.

"It's never going to be like this again, you know. The beginning of a relationship is always the brightest." she continued.

"I will do everything in my power," he said, softly brushing his fingers against her hair. She involuntarily shivered.

"To make sure that doesn't happen."

He grew silent, a sudden air of seriousness taking over his features. He was contemplating something, slightly squinting his eyes in thought as he looked down at her. She looked back up at him, in utter adoration, her cheeks slightly growing pink at the feel of his hand slowly creeping up her legs and towards her inner thighs.

"You're such a good girl," he whispered, his eyes lustily roaming all over her body as he brushed a strand of her hair away, a slight drunken giggle escaping her lips when he greedily kissed her again.

She snuggled in closer to him, slightly giggling at the feeling of his hands on her skin. Oblivious. Vulnerable. Wrapped around his finger that smelled of vanilla and sin.

"My good girl." he said, and she felt a deep warmness circulate throughout the pit of her stomach.

It was his manipulative words. Mouth that spoke so sweetly and eyes dripping with a sharp bittersweet venom. He moved his hand farther up her thigh. Again, she drunkenly giggled. The waves crashed harder, faster. Knot after knot after knot. Fetching and scoping, becoming tangible in his touch. She was absolutely enthralled in him. Leaning closer, closer, attracted by the bright embers and roars of the blindingly hot flames, light dazzling and dancing in the tiny enormity of her eyes.