Chapter XI

"The king has sent a page, my lady," the servant says to Charlotte

"The king has sent a page, my lady," the servant says to Charlotte. "He would like you to attend him in his chambers when it is convenient for you."

"Would you ask him if he can order Papa for his brothers to come back?" Her sisters chorus, Isabel boldly, Anne much more shy.

Charlotte only smiles and kisses their cheeks, telling the page she knows the way to Edward's chambers. Briefly, she wonders what could have happened.

The knight waiting outside the door knocks and announces her. Light filters in through the white curtains, illuminating Edward, who sits on a chaise in the center of the room.

She curtsied, keeping her eyes locked on his as her skirts pooled around her knees. Her words are formal, calculated. She does not know where she stands with him and has no wish to stir his anger. "You wanted to see me, Your Grace?"

"I'm leaving on a hunting trip. I just wanted to make sure you and your sisters had everything you need before I left," it seems from his face that his consideration is sincere, but of course, Charlotte cannot be sure. Mentioning her sisters helps mask it, but there is no reason for him to wish to know if they are comfortable, not with the way his eyes are trailing over her body, not when they have been at court for nearly a year by now.

"That's very thoughtful," she simpers, having not quite figured out if he is angry at her avoidance. "I have everything I could want," Charlotte approaches him, noticing that he has his weapons close to reach, a sword and his bow & arrows. She knows it is unlikely that he's called her to his chambers to exchange pleasantries.

"Good! Do you still like living at court? I've realized that you have been secluding yourself and wonder if it's because its initial charm has gone away, now that you have spent some months here. It must be quite a change from Calais and the North."

"A welcome one!" She gives him a wide smile. "There is nothing quite like the splendor of a court, I think," she hesitates before going on. "I visited the court at Fontainebleau twice and I have to say it can't compare."

"I strive to make it the envy of Europe," he plasters a smirk to his face, beckoning her closer and she steels herself before siting next to him and allowing him to guide her hand.

She allows him to guide her in holding it correctly, though by the look in his eyes, she knows he remembers well enough that he had been there during her first hunt. But, she says nothing and they both let it remain that way as her body is pressed against his, his breath warming her neck and his arms guiding her own.

Now, in front of the mirror, she smiles at their reflection. "We look very well together, do we not?"

Edward is holding the bow at the moment, but one of his arms curves around her, just a finger's breadth away from her breast. He is behind her, not quite touching her, so she takes half a step back. The bow wobbles, and she steadies it, their fingers brushing lightly against one another. She hears his breathing change, very slightly, and knows the game has begun.