01 | feeling hope

CHAPTER ONE...

I feel as if the world could come crumbling down around me at any moment.

My breathing is quick and labored, and I try not to focus on Shaw's hand gripping my shoulder. If I do, I'll fall apart.

"Colonel Hendry." Shaw says to my right, holding me in place. I keep my gaze on my shoes, for if I look at the Colonel, I'll see his pain, and then I will really break.

"I was wondering..." Shaw said. "Who you told about our little arrangement." The sun blazes down on us, and my green plaid pants stick to my legs. Sweat drips down my back. My dark, curly hair is tied up with ribbon, a look that Emma has continually said I look good in. I hate her.

Shaw finally lets go of my shoulder to make drinks at the bar, and Emma, wearing a slinky white bathing suit, guides me over to one of the lounge chairs.

"If you try anything." she whispers into my ear. "You'll regret it." I nod, but she's threatened me so many times it is starting to lose its meaning. If Emma threatens me, I don't freeze with fear. Shaw's threats are different. He always means them.

"Beg pardon?" Colonel Hendry looks over to where we sit, with Riptide standing several feet away.

Shaw takes a swig of his cigar, and his eyes flit over to us, where Hendry is looking. "I'm wondering who you have told about our little arrangement."

"No one." Hendry replies.

Shaw looks over to Emma. She says. "He's telling the truth."

"Who are you?" Hendry asks, pointing to me. I wince, and don't meet anyone's eyes.

Shaw gives a laugh. "My daughter, Leena." At least he uses my real name this time. Other times it's a name that doesn't sound like me, such as Veronica or Stacey. But Shaw lies with such ease he can make anything sound believable.

"Well," Shaw claps his hands together. "I guess we're done here."

Colonel Hendry gulps, sweat beading his brow as he looks from me then to Shaw.

Shaw says. "Let's wrap things up, shall we?" Riptide heads over to where Hendry stands, but in an instant, the air changes, and Hendry now holds a grenade. My whole body tenses. Will he really pull it?

A part of me wants him to. A part of me wants to end this.

I want to be free.

"Oh, I knew better than to trust you." Hendry says, but his voice wavers. "Now you let me walk out of here with my money or I pull this pin and we all die." contemplating, he adds. "And I know that is not your daughter, Mr. Shaw, so whoever she is, she is also coming with me."

"Or what?" Shaw says calmly. "She dies if we don't comply?" I hate when he uses me and the fact that I'm still a child to get the people he deals with to comply. Who would want to harm a child? I can think of one person.