Chapter Sixteen

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: December 11th, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

"Hazie, your mother and I would like to know more about this man who loves you so much. Invite him over an early dinner," Leroy insisted sternly.

The family had been lying around the house after church, but Leroy and Mildred needed to have a talk with Dale. They were concerned about his intentions with their daughter, due to his age which hadn't been disclosed yet. Among other things.

Eleanor inhaled sharply at her father's sudden decision. "Oh, um I can do that!" She stammered nervously. She knew that her parents couldn't scare Dale away from her, but she was still nervous that they wouldn't like him.

Eleanor smiled, it was a nervous tick of hers, and she picked up the phone and dialed Dale's number.

"Hi, Dale," She whispered and he was instantly worried.

"Is everything okay?" Dale's concerned tone made her nerves fade away. He was so caring.

She smiled and shook her head. "I'm fine! My parents just wanted to know if you could come over for an early dinner, they want to formally meet you," She explained.

"What time?" He asked without a second thought.

Pulling the phone away from her face, Eleanor mouthed "What time?" And her mother put up three fingers.

"Three o clock," She responded.

"I'll be there. But, you didn't have to be nervous. I'm on your side and I love you, so whatever you have to say can never be too bad," Dale explained in an affirmative tone.

Eleanor's cheeks grew warm as Dale spoke. Something about him made her feel warm inside, she liked it.

"Okay, I'll see you later," She said and he said the same.

As she placed the phone back on the line, her heart began to speed up. She wanted him to come now and not later, being around Dale made her happy.

"Hazie, would you help me with dinner?" Mildred asked peeking her head out of the kitchen.

Eleanor nodded and walked to the kitchen.

"Don't worry, we won't be hard on him. We just want to know him," Mildred commented as she watched Eleanor chop up two onions.

Eleanor looked over her shoulder and a relaxed smile rested on her face. "I'm not nervous, mama. I think that if God could get me to even tolerate Dale, He can do the same for you two," She noted and went back to chopping.

Mildred hummed in response and continued stirring her pot.

Two hours passed in the blink of an eye, and Dale was now being greeted by Leroy, who wanted to skip dinner and get down to talking, but instead, he walked him to the dining room.

"Welcome, Dale!" Mildred greeted Dale when she exited the kitchen.

"Thank you," Dale nodded at her and took a seat.

Mildred pursed her lips when she realized that Eleanor wasn't right behind her. They had walked out of the kitchen together, but it seemed like Eleanor got lost.

"She should be in here soon," Mildred apologized and Dale waved his hand.

A moment later, Eleanor walked in and smiled brightly at Dale.

Dale stood up from his seat and pressed a kiss onto her cheek. "Hi, beautiful," He murmured as he pulled away from her cheek.

"Hi," She said and walked to her chair, which Dale pulled out before she could. "Thank you," She whispered and he nodded.