Chapter 9

It took three snoozed chimes of my alarm to wake me up before I remembered.

          Today was the day we finally struck back.

          I looked up at Derek, still sleeping and completely oblivious to the earlier ringing of my phone, chest rising and falling peacefully. The morning breeze of summer drifted in through the curtains, brushing a wild strand of hair away from his forehead.

          He stilled then let out a long, exasperated breath. "Don't tell me we have to get up now."
My lip quirked. "Afraid so."
He groaned and shuffled up the pillow, sleepy eyes waking. "Guess it's back to reality for us."
"Unfortunately." I pecked his lips and pushed onto my knees to climb out of bed. "Now, come on. We have a job to do—"
"In five minutes."
"No, we have to—"
He took me by the arms and pulled me towards him. "In five minutes."

          I wanted to move, to not rush while getting ready for work, but the warming sensation of his skin against mine made me say, "Fine. Just five minutes."

***

Half an hour later, we started getting ready as Scotty banged on the door, shouting for us to hurry up. Mindful of Monaco's climate, I buttoned up a lightweight shirt and wrapped a chunky belt around blue denim shorts. Derek tossed a beige cardigan my way and lugged a bag over his shoulder containing our overnight essentials not already stored at the agency.

          Rodriguez was scowling as we walked in.

          "Their fault – not mine," Scotty blamed. He was still shaking from the stress of being late. Even if he was usually the more unorganised one when arriving for an office day, he always managed to be right on schedule for field missions. Mostly, I was the same, but somehow all punctuality had vanished today.

          Davis pinched his smile. "And what made you so late, I wonder?"
"We slept in," Derek said blankly. The upturned corners of his mouth made me bite my cheek, holding back a blush.
"Oh, I bet you did."

          Scotty muttered under his breath while Davis fired a wink my way.
"Suppose you'll be in a good mood today, Knight."
"If I push you out the helicopter at ten-thousand feet for that look alone."
Scotty's scowl turned into a grin. "I can arrange that. Barnes too?"
"No."
He scoffed. "Forever spoiling my fun."

          Rodriguez rolled his eyes; in this room now were his supposed top agents. I had to give him credit where due. For all our disagreements in the past, he had grown more tolerant of us all. Scotty, however, still tested his patience.

          Everyone's, in fact.

          The Director ran over the plan once more, each of us watching and listening just as keenly as we did the first time. Every detail was finalised. Every bag had been triple checked. Every weapon was fully loaded with spare ammo stored within Tracey.

          We were ready.
"Good luck to you all." He dipped his head to each of us, bowing it especially low for Collins, who had remained silent from the moment the briefing began, analysing every word. "Be the agents I know you to be."
Scotty frowned. "You think we're shits."
The Director's face did not change. "You may be shits. But you're good shits."
Derek hissed through his teeth. "That's... a compliment."
"Not the finest," Davis added. "But thanks, Director."
"Yes." I forced a smile. "Thank you."

          "Righto." Scotty smacked my arm and backed out the room. "Cheers, Rodriguez. Live long and prosper." With a hand gesture, he disappeared.

          The Director's bushy brows knitted together. "Did he ever do that with Alistair?"
"He was scared of Alistair," I replied.
"Perhaps I should fire the man to frighten him into obedience."
"You did fire him," Collins reminded him. "You fired all of us."