15 {Spring}

"Stefano?" Gibson gave me the floor and I straightened in my seat, addressing the room of lawyers.

"Q1 will be closing out with $37.8 mill in new deals, including the Giamatti and Wright contracts I signed last month." I pushed the copies of the contracts across the table, as well as my Q2 projection spreadsheets.

"And I've got Matthews in the pipeline!" Luca jumped in, that smug smile spreading up his face. "As in Matthews Refineries."

This was news to me. "How the hell did you swing that?"

"Let's just say Matthews' wife was a fan of my pipeline."

Jesus Christ Luca. I looked towards the lawyers, they didn't even bat an eye, nothing shocked or surprised them anymore. "Gav..." I hit the volume button on the speakerphone. "How's Boyd?"

"Handled. I've got him it at..."

My phone buzzed on the table in front of me so I flipped it over, blinking to make sure I was reading it right. Mark.

I dropped it back down, trying to steady my suddenly racing heart, throbbing pulse, the nervous heat engulfing me while the room became a blur of noise and suits. Mark...

I stretched my fingers back to the phone, sliding it towards me, teetering it right on the edge of the table, slowly flipping it back over. It was a message.

My mouth was suddenly dry. I needed the coffee sitting in front of me but my fingers were glued to the phone.

It'd been months. Maybe it was a mistake.

I kept sliding it, right off the table to my lap, scooting my chair back just enough to hide my screen, then swiping my thumb to open the message.

But it was just a picture- of trees. Che cazzo. Just trees at a park. Cherry blossom trees at... Central Park. The ones off 72nd... The ones I walked by all the time on my way to Luca's. The ones right across from the bench that Mark and I had sat at when he was here last fall.

We had sat there for hours, just talking, watching the fall leaves... the fall...

I looked back at the picture... to the bright pink blooms... the spring blooms. Spring. Now... this was now.

I jumped up, smacking the table, my coffee spilling everywhere. "I've got to go!"

"Stefano!" Luca roared but I wasn't stopping. "We're in the middle of our earnings and budget meeting- where the hell are you going!"

"I've... you can handle this... fill me in.." I raced out the door, leaving everything behind, weaving past the offices and cubicles. "Hold it!" I hurried into the elevator, almost slamming into Scott.

I opened the message again, zooming in on the photo as I raced out of the elevator, out the building, eyes up on the sky- it was the same sky. He was here, in New York, now.

I grabbed the door of an awaiting cab, not giving a damn who had actually ordered it. "Central Park, 5th and 72nd! Step on it!"

The cab was flying, my eyes darting from the window, to the speedometer, to my phone. This was crazy! It was just a picture...

I was waiting, knees rattling, inching the door open before the cab even stopped and my feet were pounding the pavement, following the familiar path into the park, my heart beating faster with each fleeting step, my nerves winding inside me just as I winding my way through the trees- finally seeing the bench we had sat at...

And seeing him.

I couldn't move, feet locked, a gush of wind smacking right into me, taking my breath away with it, my heart skipping a beat, then another.

He was sitting there-here! Staring straight ahead at the trees, in a navy coat, scarf around his neck. He looked good, really fucking good.

Then he was glancing around, suddenly looking my way, doing a quick double take, his eyes going wide- seeing me, immediately smiling.

Fuck. I was fighting against my twitching lips, trying to bite back my own smile- trying to be a fucking man and hide the pile of mush I was inside. Months of nothing but his memory and now here he was. But why?

He stood up, walking my direction, stopping cautiously a few feet away. "I was working up the nerve to call you," he laughed, flashing me his phone before shoving it into his coat pocket. "But I guess the photo was enough."

"What are you doing here?"

He sighed under his breath, shrugging his shoulders, letting out another laugh. "I... I'm really into the whole change of seasons thing." Then he took a sharp inhale, those bushy lashes fluttering up as he met my eyes. "Stefano, I... I came here to apologize, for that call after New Year's. I know I was rude. I was drunk... but that's no excuse for what I said about... well you know. I'm sorry the apology took so long."

"Did you just get in?" I looked down at the backpack he had dropped to his feet.

"A few hours ago. I didn't want to bother you at work."

"It was a slow day, I was just twiddling my thumbs, about to leave the office anyways."

He backed up a little, creating more space between us- and I felt every inch of it, like a painful rip. But I just stood there, still in shock, disbelief.

"So..." He looked around, slowly rolling his eyes back towards mine. "How have you been?"

How have I been? Going through the motions as best I can, only to feel gutted every time your face, your laugh, your eyes flash through my mind. I constantly try to push you aside and sometimes it works, but other times I just feel like shit. "Fine. You?"

"Honestly?" He shrugged and I nodded yes back. "I miss you."

Fuck- me too! You have no fucking idea! I wanted to reach for him, touch him, hold him, feel him against me, unwrap the scarf from his neck, see if he still smelled the same. But we were in the middle of the park, in the middle of the city. Eyes everywhere. We needed to get away. I was close to losing my control, too close. "Do you want to grab some food?"

"Sure." He reached for his bag, throwing it over his arm. "Do you mind if we walk?"

"This way." I waved him forward, stepping to his side, leading him towards the West side.

We walked up to the crosswalk, asshole drivers already running the red, and Mark's face suddenly whipped up towards mine- so I looked down, realizing my arm was around his back, guiding him safely across the street.

"Sorry..." I dropped my arm, pushing my hands deep in my pockets since they apparently had a mind of their own. "This intersection can be a little dangerous."

He looked back towards the park then up to the tower in front of us. "Wow, looks like a castle."

"This is my building actually. My apartment's on the fourth floor."

"Really?" He was all smiles, studying the building.

"Do... do you want to see it? Before we go eat?" I looked over, his eyes flashing to mine, twinkling from the setting sun.

"I would."