Chapter 15

✖ Chapter 15 

        WE HAD STOPPED after an excessive amount of running for a rest. I was at least thankful that Megan's power had been capable of carrying Marcus' and Jessie's still limp bodies a bit of the way. It was exhausting to be overwhelmed by conflicted thoughts and overexertion. 

        The trickle of the stream almost sounded mellifluous to me after hearing nothing but my own panting breaths for the longest time. I watched as it slid gracefully around small rocks in the way, lapping over the overgrown grass and small pebbles. The water was clear, inviting even, mocking my fatigued body as I stared at it. 

        So I hesitated for a brief moment before cupping my hands and gulping as much of the water as I could, the coolness of it causing me to revel in it's refreshing glory. I was tempted to lay in it, let it wash away the grime and lies and manipulation from my body, though I knew it would be to no avail. There was no shaking these redundant and revolting thoughts.

        Rose came and sat by me, so I smiled at her because that's what I used to do. That's what I felt like I should do. But it was so difficult for such a simple curve of the lips. If anything, I felt like it drained even more of the energy I already didn't have.

        She pulled her knees to her chest, eyes trailing after the rush of the stream before her voice spoke, soft and quiet. "Do you think everything Cecilia said was true?"

        I laid on my stomach, arms folded with my right cheek pressed into them as I looked at her. "I don't doubt it."

        She pursed her lips, a look of despair crossing her features. "I don't doubt it, either. But I also don't want to believe I was lied to my whole life."

        "You can't change things that have already happened, Rose." I shifted, grunting as I flopped onto my back, staring up at the stars. She slid next to me a moment later, our arms merely brushing. "All you can do is work to change the present and write the future."

        Her head fell to my shoulder, a genuine smile pulling at my lips this time as I glanced down at her. "You always have these little moments where you say these meaningful things," she said as her hand fumbled with mine, her eyes locked on our fingers brushing against each other. She smiled before locking our hands completely. "I missed that."

        I shrugged, snuggling closer to her. "What can I say? As Daniel would put it, I'm a softy at heart."

        She laughed, a sound that was so harmonic, it deserved to be on replay every day. I would listen to it. I would buy it. I would pay good money just to hear that beautiful sound. The sound of actual happiness, and for once I was the cause in a good way.

          Daniel's grumbled voice made me turn my head towards him, confused at seeing how he was laying on top of Jessie. Megan was doing the same to Marcus. I sat up some, hating to leave Rose's side but too distraught by the scene before me to pay much attention.

        "Please tell me this isn't a form of rape with clothing," I said unsure, raising my eyebrows.

        Daniel grunted just as I saw Jessie's foot twitch. "I think they're waking up."

        That was enough for me to jump to my feet and grab the leftover rope bindings I had brought with us, specifically for this. They could still be controlled by Cecilia, and I couldn't have them lashing out. I needed to bring them back to full consciousness, to where their own thoughts were the ones inside their heads. Not someone else's.