18. Heal

~1 month later~

Aiden's p.o.v.

I'm home. Since one month, I'm home again and it feels like I'm getting to know the place on a whole new level.
I still can't walk but I have regular recovery training to literally get me back on my feet.

My fever has gone down and my body is slowly healing from the wounds. But my mind is a little clouded by depression. I've been lying and sitting for so long and it is beginning to irritate me to no end. I'm honestly terrified of the posibility that I might never dance again.

All this time, my smiles have mostly been forced to reassure my lovely mates. Luke is alright now and his head wound as well as his arm are completely healed. He's with me everyday to keep me company when the alphas have to attend to other pack related business.

But I still feel like a cripled bird trapped in a cage of gold. I have to get out! I want to walk so bad. The doctor who is monitoring my bone recovery is really nice. She told me that I have to practice a little bit everyday to walk just one step and I'm trying really hard.

These little steps don't seem like enough, though I try to be greatful that I can even still walk. I've been practicing in secret and I want to surprise my mates a little by walking towards them this afternoon.

It is just past lunchtime and Luke was here with me to eat in bed. Now, he's bringing down the tray and Wilder, James and Noah should be here any minute now.

Thanks to my werewolf hearing, I faintly hear the front door opening and make my way over to the side of the bed and come into a sitting position.

I heave myself up by the bed and wait as I listen for the steps that are coming towards our room. As the door opens, the first one I see is Wilder with a bright smile on his face. After him are the rest of my mates, all of them with a happy expression on their faces. Their happy faces change into shocked ones when they see me standing.

"Aiden, wha-... ?", Wilder gasps and I smile as I slowly take one step after the other. It's a bit wobbly at first but eventually, I get closer and closer to Wilder. He takes a step towards me but I hold up my hand and say: "No... let... let me...", I continue to make baby steps towards him until I reach him and fall into his arms, since he's crouched down.

He hugs me and I smile, a real smile this time. "Baby that was so good! I'm so proud of you!",Wilder says, immediately receiving agreement from the others.

"I practised with the doctor", I say proudly, a little bit tired after this.

"I'm glad. Come on now, we have a special afternoon ahead of us.", Wilder suddenly says and I look up at him, confused.

What does he mean? It's not anyone's birthday is it?

"Yes, we've noticed that you were quite sad, being cooped up in this room for so long, so we thought we might go to the little lake nearby and get you into the sunlight", Noah says to me, grinning.

My eyes light up and I hug Wilder again, harder this time. He lets out a laugh and says:" I think he likes that idea"

"Let's go, let's go then. We have to make a picknic and you guys have to pack your swimming stuff and...", I begin to ramble, too excited to stop myself and I receive several chuckles.

I'm lifted up, like I have been for the last few weeks, by Wilder with ease and we make our way out of the bedroom. They tell me that they have already thought of that stuff and just came up to get me. I get even more excited because I get to go outside quicker.

~about 20 minutes later~

The Jeep comes to a halt as I lean against the window looking outside, like I'm seeing it for the first time. It truly makes a difference to see nature when you've been trapped in a dark room for any amount of time. When you think you would never see it again... but when you do, you realize what wonders lie in just a bit of a field, how much life there is.

I get lifted out of the car by Noah and we go over to a good place where we can put all our stuff.

Luke and James already start getting ready to jump into the water, taking their clothes off before racing off. I grin as I watch them.

~ 2 hours later~

After we've had a little meal on the giant blanket we brought, Luke, Noah and Wilder decided to go in the water once more, James staying behind with me.

I lie on his lap, feeling refreshed and extremely comfortable. My eyes wander from James' beautiful face to the nature around me, the beautiful sunshine giving me a calm sense of joy. James seems to be just as calm as me, drawing circles on my arm.

I hear Luke scream and look over to the lake, where Wilder is holding him above his head, out of the water keeping him there for a while before throwing him into the water again, earning another scream from Luke, followed by Wilder's and Noah's laugh. As Luke comes back to the surface, he has water in his mouth and spits all of it in Wilder's face. Wilder is shocked for a moment as Noah completely loses it. Wilder then starts a waterfight with Noah and Luke, seeking revenge.

James and I both chuckle at the funny sight.

After we become comfortably silent again, James speaks up in a calm voice: "You know what I'm thinking?"

I decide for a sarcastic answer: "You're probably mad that I can almost walk again because you like carrying me so much?", I grin.

James chuckles again. "Yeah sure, that too"

He turns serious: "I think in some strange way, it's good that you couldn't walk for a while... not that it didn't hurt seeing you in pain because trust me, it did, but now that that son of a bitch is dead and you're slowly getting back up on your feet again... I don't know it just seems like you got a second chance in life, excluding us, of course.", he winks at me with the last sentence.

I let what he said sink in. He's actually right... It feels like I was born again, helpless, like a child and unable to walk. But my mates were here for me, every step of the way.

"I love you", I whisper after a while and I look up at James.

He smiles his incredibly beautiful smile and kisses me.

After he pulls away, he whispers back: "We love you too"

I lay back down on his lap, staring off into nature and the slowly setting sun. A few geese have landed in the sea and a little fog has built up around the lake. Noah, Wilder and Luke have left the water and have sat down with us. But I don't really notice. I'm caught up in my thoughts.

And I realize something...

Me being saved from that basement was the real beginning of my new life. The miserable omega in me died. He was holding me back from being free. Sometimes you have to let go of something that no longer serves you.

I'm still an omega but now I feel worthy and loved. I have a new life and I'm planning on living it... really living it!

I know that, now, I'm actually finally free.

And I'm not afraid anymore.

I smile a tiny smile as I stare off into the beautiful picture in front of me.

I'm healing...

~THE END~