| 35 |

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE | お別れ

༻ CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE | お別れ

- 35 | THE PRESSURE. ⛅️
it's Dec 30th 2020... meaning happy
Taehyung day!! Thank you to all those
read my books and supported me
this year, i'm SO grateful & SO
excited to see you in 2021!!
here's to a better year of
health & blessings!!
& please vote!🥂

My footsteps creep along the wooden porch floorboards when I circulate the dojo to find Sensei in the fields, sitting cross-legged with his back turned while he meditates.

There's no class today, hence the quietness. But I needed one more opinion on this whole thing...

I refrain from speaking at the fear of ruining this peaceful silence but even without uttering a word—

"What brings you here Mei?" Sensei's back remains turned.

I almost raise my brows in surprise before remembering... He's Sensei. Of course he knew.

"Good evening Sensei." My body folds into a bow. "Um, I'm actually having a bit of a dilemma."

"Which would be?"

"Well... The tournament is soon, which requires us students to travel out of town together. But my Grandpa's fragile... He needs me more than ever and I'm worried that if I leave him with just my Gramma when she has to work, something bad'll happen while I'm gone. I-I don't know whether to stay or go... I was hoping you'd know what to do."

Sensei slowly opens his eyes one by one to admire the blazing orange sun that sinks into the skyline. With his back still turned, he gives a small chuckle.

"You want me to give you the answer... Okay. Sit by me."

I motion down the small wooden steps before sitting on my knees beside him. The dojo is at the top of a hill, giving us a view of the village I may possibly see for the last time. The brown Chinese-tiled rooftops burn under the scorching sunset that descends red with pink clouds. Though a generous breeze somehow brushes over us both, blowing my hair and Sensei's beard simultaneously.

"You want me to solve a riddle that is not designed for me. You want me to give you the answer, to a journey that is not mine... I want you to take in this scenery Mei. Take in the workers moving through this heat, the children running freely with paper umbrellas and then finally, close your eyes."