Part 19 - Too Legit to Quit

Too Legit to Quit

'It's about time something like this came up... I'm kind of nervous though...' Naruto's thought to himself as he sat in the trees just surrounding a somewhat secure clearing. After two months of doing C-rank missions with a team he was given a solo B-rank mission of his own. Remembering what Tsunade had told him about one of his teams a few months back, that they had thought he might be somewhat good as an Anbu, he figured this was something of a tryout mission or something. Chunin don't get solo missions, so he figured this was the only thing this could be.

His mission had been to head to a town in Tsuki no Kuni (Land of Moon). Tsunade wasn't very forthcoming with the information on exactly what he was doing here at all, but he figured this wasn't some kind of trap or anything, why would she kill him off? So all he really had to go on was that he had to meet a contact once he arrived. This was the first time he had worked without a team in years and while he wasn't expecting anything anywhere near the borderline suicide things that he had done the last time he had solo missions it was always nice to be ready just in case.

Instead of taking his usual clothing he decided to don his execution gear that he had worn during his escapades in Kumogakure. He doubted that it would really matter what he wore for this job, because as long as he had his hitae-ate he was told that the contact would find him, but hey, why not? After a few days off following the diplomatic mission to Kumo he had been blasted with back to back missions ranging from escorts to bandit extermination. They had been mostly snoozefests, mainly because he had an entire team to help him out. Nothing had occurred the likes of the disaster to Nami no Kuni, thank Kami, but he missed the action.

The only instruction that the boy had received for his mission was to head to an inland town on Tsuki no Kuni and find the bar that had been listed when he first left before burning his mission scroll. After entering the small town it wasn't too difficult to find, as this town was not too large like the coastal towns that the tourist country were more known for.

Upon entering the bar, Naruto had to stop and check back outside to see if he had made a mistake. It wasn't. That was the only bar in the town.

The reason he had to check after first entering was because the first thing that greeted the boy was a loud, boisterous laugh that he was quite familiar with. The sight of spiky white hair filled his vision upon first walking in to add on to the laugh.

"Whoa! Slow down ladies, there's enough of the great Jiraiya to go around!" Jiraiya, as per the course, was surrounded by a bevy of women hanging off of his money- err his every word.

Naruto couldn't believe that Jiraiya was his contact for whatever he was about to do so he simply sauntered past without stirring the man's interest and made his way to the bartender. Pulling off his hood he showed off his hitae-ate in the low light of the bar and sighed as the man looked at him, "We don't serve minors kid, you know that."

Naruto gave him a dry look, "I know your country has a hidden village so you should know better." Naruto flicked the metal on his headband, showing to the man that he was a ninja, "One bottle of sake please, whatever brand you think a kid should be drinking."

The man nodded and turned to grab Naruto's order, "A kid shouldn't be drinking at all. So what's a Konoha ninja doing in Tsuki no Kuni?"

Naruto gave him a wry grin, "I'm on vacation."

Turning back around and pouring Naruto his first cup with a smirk he spoke, "Kid, you're in the wrong place for a vacation. There are no resorts or attractions around here."

Naruto chuckled as he began sipping his drink, "Let's just say I find the charm of the countryside appeals to me more than the beaches do."

The man let out an amused laugh, "You're a strange kid. What kind of kid doesn't like the beach?"