5

The ding of the elevator doors hurts my head as I step into the apartment and hang my coat up on the rack. I drop my bag by the door and rush over to throw myself down on the sofa. I glance around for Alfred, then shrug and turn on the news.
And I find myself sighing, because there on the screen is Clark. In footage from earlier today, Clark is flying over the park, towards Downtown. And there he is noticing a building on fire, diving in, rushing in and out, saving people.
God, the man is too perfect.
"Sir."
I look over my shoulder to see Alfred wringing his hands.
"What's up?"
"Bruce, are you alright? I heard you sighing."
"I don't sigh."
Alfred nods, looking unconvinced.
"I've just got someone on the brain, that's all."
Alfred smiles.
"That's brilliant. It's been too long since Kennedy."
"It's distracting, Alfred. I can't work."
"Then do something about it, ask them out."
"What's for dinner?"
Alfred looks taken aback
"I haven't started anything, sir, what would you like?"
"Order us in burgers, please. Oh, and could you bring me one of the stouts in the fridge?"
"Right away."
I take my phone out of the pocket of my blazer and open up my messages to Clark.
I type Hey. Then take it back.
I type Clark I like you. Then take it back.
Alfred sets my beer down on the coffee table, sends me a long look, then leaves.
I type: Clark, I have some feelings for you that are more than friendly. Can I buy you a drink some time?
And I send it.
Then throw my phone to the other end of the sofa.
I pace, sit with Alfred for dinner, my knee bouncing beneath the table. When I wander back through to switch off the TV, my phone is flashing at me. An unread message from Clark fills my lock screen.
My heart pounds.
I lift my phone and hold my breath as I open the message.
Clark: I always knew you liked me. How is Thursday night?
Fuck, it worked. Fuck. Oh my God.
I text back quickly.
Me: Thursday night is fine. Meet me at Huck's at 8pm.
I resist the urge to text him Wear something nice.
I thud back down on the sofa, smiling, holding my phone close to my chest.