Chapter Twenty

I waited inside the car while Luca left to 'sort out' Will

          I waited inside the car while Luca left to 'sort out' Will. With shaky fingers, I texted Christian to let him know that I'd meet him at his place tonight. It was crazy how much I was keeping from him now. There had been an invisible wall between us since that night with Luca. It had faded yesterday after Christian told me about the cancer and we'd slept together. I'd felt closer to him than I had in a long time.  

          The wall was back up at full force now.

          There were werewolves out there in the world. I could never tell him, and the knowledge would forever keep a massive chasm between us. However long forever turned out to be.

           I glanced at the clock, wondering why I hadn't just left. My mind had been spinning when Luca had disappeared into the forest moments ago, and I couldn't quite bring myself to leave without telling him. So I stayed.

           I tried not to think about Donna. Luca had always seemed surreal to me – almost out of this world. But Donna was... Donna. I didn't know how to feel about her being a werewolf. I'd always considered her one of my closest friends. After Luca's revelation, I wasn't so sure that I really knew her. It all made sense to me now how she'd tried to stop me from being so dismissive about my feelings for Luca when I'd confessed everything to her. She'd known we were soul mates. Or at least she'd believed we were. And Christian... she'd known. Like Luca, she'd sensed he was sick long before Christian had told me.

           I was finding it hard to tamp down the sense of betrayal rising within me.

           I looked at the clock on the dashboard again, antsy to leave. School would be out soon. Although this stretch of the road was pretty much deserted now; it wouldn't remain that way for much longer. I couldn't be seen with Luca.

           I dropped my phone back into my bag, straightening when I felt eyes boring into the back of my neck. I turned, expecting to see Luca, but was surprised when I caught side of the huge auburn wolf on the side of the road.

           Luca.

           He trotted forward, coming to a stop right beside the car. He'd crossed the space quicker than I'd thought possible, and all I could do was gape at him. His large head tilted towards the back door of the car, his big brown eyes staying fixed on mine. He wasn't going to stay a wolf was he?

           After a few seconds of staring at Luca in astounded silence, I reluctantly got out of the car.

          "What do you want me to do?" I asked a little nervously.  He was stunning in animal form. Now that I was sure he wouldn't be chewing my head off, I could really appreciate his exquisiteness. He had thick, luscious fur that was a beautiful auburn colour. It was lighter near his neck, and much darker at the top of his head and back. The contrasting shades were vibrant and majestic in the evening sunlight. He was beautiful.