one

If you're wondering what the hell is going on here...neither do I. I am struggle. I feel like my rewrites are worse than the originals. 

Obviously, the average chapter will be longer than this, but I repeat, I am struggle. I felt like I had to get something out. This is really more of a prologue. I might rename it that, because I don't know 

★★★

SOMETIMES people did stupid things. Sometimes people did impulsive, stupid things in the heat of the moment, things they knew they weren't supposed to do that would get them in trouble. Sometimes Peggy Carter, despite all of her intelligence and sensibility, did stupid, stupid, stupid things and regretted them later.

Well.

Did she regret it? Not really, no. When it happened, when she and Steve found themselves pressed up against each other in an empty room between filing shelves, Peggy had no idea it would be her last chance with him, and she was ashamed of her impulsivity. Now that she knew, it felt so much less wrong to have given in, because at least they would always have that. And they would always have Allie, even if Peggy was the only one who knew.

But it was still damn stupid, because now she had to spend the rest of her days bending the truth. As far as everyone knew, Alexandra's father--who, for social reasons, Peggy said was her husband--died fighting in the war. As far as Alexandra could know, her father was a blond guy from Brooklyn with a heart of gold. Making things up and shutting down questions was a terrible feeling, especially to her own daughter, but Peggy had no choice. With Captain America's blood in her veins, Allie had a target tattooed on her forehead. If the wrong person found out...Peggy didn't want to know what would happen.

Alexandra's identity was a secret, even to herself. Someday she could know, but for now, the truth was something that Peggy and only a select few others had to protect with their lives. Alexandra's life depended on it.