chapter twenty three

s o p h i e   f o s t e r

s o p h i e f o s t e r

sophie woke up with a major hangover. she groaned and tried to sit up, her head throbbing. edaline was right there beside her, a cup of tea in her hands. "here, drink up." she said passing the cup to her foster daughter. sophie squinted and took the glass.

"why's it so bright." she grumbled. this was sophie's first time being hungover and so far, she was not enjoying it. edaline laughed in amusement then stroked her hair that was as messy as a birds nest.

"effects of a hangover." she explained. sophie's eyes widened, she hadn't planned for edaline to find out about the events of last night. "i know what you're thinking, but there was no way to hide this from me. marella and linh dropped you off hastily last night, i'm not sure if they knew we were home or if they were just doing a terrible job of being quiet."

"edaline i'm so sorry. i didn't plan to drink..it sorta just happened. i promise it won't happen." edaline caressed her face and smiled.

"it's alright to have fun once in a while, but if it weren't your birthday on this week you would be grounded. a little warning if this happens again." sophie nodded and drank a big gulp of her tea.

"let's keep this a secret between you and i. grady would never let you out of the house again if he found out." sophie wish edaline was over exaggerating but for anything she was understating the punishment he'd want to give her. "i'm thinking of cancelling our trip, maybe it would be better if we were here for your birthday. it's a big one."

"no no no you can't." sophie said a little too quickly. edaline quirked up an eyebrow before she continued. "it's not that i don't want you here for my birthday but you i know how much you were looking forward to your work trip. and it's hard to resist a free flight to miami, especially since you get to cure a species that might go extinct without you."

edaline and grady were zooligists, their main job to relocate animals to their natural habitats, and had to make a special three day trip to florida to help diagnose a sickly dolphin that was one of the last of its kind. sophie admired her foster parents work and they'd sometimes let her come into their work to help with the animals. her favorite "patient" ,as her foster dad would love to call them, was a sheep named verdi. sheep were normally herbivores but verdi, this very special sheep, would refuse to eat anything other than birds. grady had been working for months to turn her vegetarian but had no luck. she was known as their permanent resident.

edaline gave her a skeptical look "i have a feeling there's another reason you don't want me and grady around." sophie put down her tea and gave her foster mom a big hug.

"trust me. i would love to have you guys here for my birthday but i don't want to be the reason a whole species goes extinct." edaline rolled her eyes, trying to stay humble.

"i have something for you."

"oh?" sophie was surprised she was getting a gift after coming home drunk last night, but was grateful none the less. edaline pulled her to her feet and motioned for sophie to follow. as she got up, she got lightheaded. oh boy, how did people go to school like this? sophie could barely put two feet in front of each other, she couldn't imagine writing an essay or solving a math problem in this state.

"gah!" sophie cried as she exited her room. she quickly covered the sun from her eyes, more pouring in from the open windows in the hallway. "edalineeeee." she whined.

her foster mom chuckled and let sophie cover her eyes as she led her to a room down the hallway. when sophie put down her arms she furrowed her brows. where was she? she'd explored every nook and cranny in the enormous house her foster parents owned. then it clicked.

"jolie's room." sophie whispered. edaline nodded then went to close the door behind them. she'd never been in here before. it was the one room off limits to her. sophie heard stories of edaline and gradys daughter who passed away her junior year. the bed in the center of the room was covered in dust, along with everything else. it meant a lot to sophie that edaline was letting her in, physically and emotionally.

"grady and i talked about it and decided you're family enough to know about jolie." she explained. "we lost her in a fire 3 years ago today. it's the anniversary of her death- and birth." sophie gasped. edaline had a sullen expression on her face and gazed to the floor.

"grady wants to talk about this all as a family tonight but i just- i thought maybe you'd like something of hers." she was skeptical. many classmates of hers had mistaken her for jolie or berated sophie for trying to replace her, this years seniors being jolie's freshman.

"edaline, first i really want to thank you for sharing i know how tough it can be, but i don't want to be jolie's replacement." sophie cringed, did that sound too harsh? edaline nodded and took sophie's hands in hers.

"sophie i don't want you to ever feel like we're treating you as a substitute to jolie. i hope you don't see this as that. i would be honored, and i know jolie would be too, if you were to wear her dress to prom." sophie's eyes bulged out of her head. that was a huge ask. but she could see how much it meant to edaline. prom wasn't as significant to sophie as she sure it was to jolie and her mother, so she was happy to accept.

sophie wrapped her foster mom in an embrace "are you kidding me? it would be an honor for me." she could feel edalines tear drops rolling down to wet her back but didn't mind in the slightest.

a few minutes later sophie was trying on the dress and smiling in delight at how she looked in it.

"what are you doing?" grady questioned. edaline and sophie guiltily looked at each other. they were in the kitchen making a batch of mallow melt. he sighed in disappointment when he saw the batter. "you know i'm trying to stay on my diet for the high school reunion next week."

"grady you don't need to be on a diet. you're seriously the fittest man i've ever seen." grady raised an eyebrow in response.

"alright. what do you want? money?"

sophie gave him a cheeky smile and quickly dipped her finger in the mallowmelt before licking it off. edaline smacked her on the shoulder and shook her head. "we need more eggs, can you grab some at the grocery store?" edaline asked.

"can i come?"

grady and edaline turned to her with confused expressions. sophie only left the house to go to school and had to be dragged to sunday church which they skipped this morning because of sophie's...cold. "you never want to go anywhere."

"yeah but, i dunno. i feel like it." she shrugged.

"alright hop in the car i'll be right there." grady nodded. sophie went to the garage and got in the passenger seat. her foster parents weren't very good at keeping surprises. edaline was grinning from ear to ear when grady whispered something in her ear, and she got excited when planning parties. to tell the truth, keefe had mentioned needing to go to the store so she went hoping to see him. although she definitely wasn't telling herself that.

sophie regretted coming once she was standing in front of the store in spongebob pajamas.