Chapter 2 Growing Pains

Overnight Queenie had grown from a toddler to a child. She was eating more and constantly thirsty. Tamela wasn't sure what to do. When she wasn't consuming something, she was squealing in pain and sweating. She picked her up and felt the pain in her arms from the weight of the child. She tucked her back in bed and wiped her head with a cold washcloth.

"You'll be fine, baby. Don't worry," Tamela whispered.

"Thirsty, Mama..." Queenie whimpered back. Tamela knew this was some dark magick working and Donyel knew the cause of it. Did she dare try to summon him? Donyel was an old spirit. He was an old dark angel that tormented the town of Heaven for years in one persona or another. Then he was forgotten. She had gotten to know him when she was younger and dabbling in the dark arts. Sometimes she regretted it. The thing was, once they were a part of your life, they seldom left you alone.

There was more to these old ancient beings than what people were taught in church, religion, or any movie. Some called them the Fallen. They had a mind of their own, they had realms of their own, and they had plans of their own. Some lived amongst human beings as people, some lived in the shadows, and some in dimensions unseen.

They continually wore their human masks to cover their true identities all the while pushing whatever agenda they contrived in their minds. Mostly, it was about ruling. In fact, many of them were in areas of power; police chiefs, business CEOS, governors, and occasionally a president. Typically, however, fallen angels would put their children in power and rule from behind. Their children were called the Nephilim and they were humans with great powers. Most were hard to kill; had to be shot in the head or beheaded. Just looking back at history and you can see why that mode of killing was so popular.

Tamela's own personal experience came with Tonya's father, Philip. She was a girl using magick to conjure herself love and they became aware... of each other. Not the brightest apple in the bunch but she wanted him and he, for some reason, was drawn to her. It was a moment in time. Love spells are intoxicating like liquor until you sober up. But that wasn't the issue; It was learning that Philip was the son of Donyel and he was apart of that forbidden bloodline. Philip's early demise and then Tonya's was a curse Tamela had to live with. That curse's name was Donyel. But this time the gift Donyel brought her was Queenie; a beautiful child. How could this child be wrong?

Queenie was as a victim of Donyel's bloodline no doubt, by no fault of her own. If anything, Tamela felt the need to protect Queenie, not only from Donyel but the world.

Queenie screamed in pain. Tamela ran to the kitchen to get her some more water. She fumbled over the glasses in the cupboard. She filled one to the brim with some cold water from the fridge. The water spilled on its sides as she ran back to the room.

"Queenie?" Tamela softly spoke as she walked inside. Queenie was sleep or more so passed out. Her body was still sweating and even peeling. Tamela took a wet cloth and wiped off the dead skin. The child's hair was wild and unruly. Her breathing was fast but when Tamela touched her forehead she calmed some. It gave Tamela some solace that she was helping. She could see the child growing before her eyes. Her only thought was that she needed to keep Queenie moist. Her skin was peeling and bleeding. Tamela grabbed a jar of Vaseline from the bathroom. She wiped the dead skin off her legs, arms, and back. Sometimes the child would cough and she sat her up so she wouldn't choke on a dislodged baby tooth that would be immediately replaced by a permanent. It was going to be a long night. But Tamela was willing to do whatever she needed to do. Because that's what mother's do.