04 | The Welcome of Uncertainty

The attention of the crew was diverted elsewhere the moment Jeanne's body was thrown over the rail. There was red where she used to lay, and two deckhands cleaned it up, scrubbing it off before it had the chance to stain.

Archer found himself wishing he'd given her one more glance before she was gone forever. Instead he stood silent with grief and nausea, unable to rush to the side of the boat and stare after her into the swirling water below, ignorant of the difference it might've made.

Behind him, the blonde-haired boy introduced himself as Denver and offered him the fifteen coins he won from his bet. He was saying something else, too, but Archer hadn't really heard him.

"It's better me than anyone else, that's for sure."

"What's that?" Archer asked.

"A tour, Kingsley. I'll give you a tour of the ship."

Archer blinked. Did life just go on like this here? Tours and small talk after murder?

"Perfect," Denver said. "Gives me an excuse to get out of cleaning duty. Up there"—he pointed up to the mainmast—"is the crow's nest. We've got Nelson up there now, our usual scout. Tiny little guy, young kid, eagle-eyed but throws a wicked knife. Bit shy, though."

Archer didn't see how any of those things went together.

"When he's not in combat," Denver continued, "he's really clumsy, which is weird 'cause he can be real feisty in a fight. He's always tripping over the ship. If you hear somebody call him trippy, that's why. Hi, Trippy!"

Archer glanced up at the kid in the crow's nest as he looked down. He was just a boy—probably fourteen. Archer guessed Bardarian didn't care about age if the job got done; a soldier was a soldier.

"Now our other scout," Denver explained, "is the exact opposite. He's an old guy who acts as our helmsman most of the time." He led Archer up to the upper deck, where the ship's wheel was. It was a big thing, with gorgeous carvings on the side. Standing with leathered hands on the wheel was an older man, gazing out at the sea.

"There he is," Denver said, then dragged Archer back down to the main deck, pointing to the balcony above them. "That's Cap's place. Now, Bardarian's a young guy too for his job, but you'd never guess that. He's always moving, so it can be hard to find him sometimes. You won't really ever need to talk to 'im anyway. You can go to someone else." Denver opened the door under the captain's quarters and squeezed through.

"This is the navigation room," he said, leading them into a room with low bulbs from the ceiling. The day was beginning to dim, and candles were being lit. There was a huge table in the center of the room, and maps scattered across the wall—maps of the ship and of the Cobalts.

The map of Myria caught his eye, splayed out on the main table like artwork. Myria was supposed to be completely uncharted, but that map was detailed. He didn't know the shape of the navy sea or the other islands; he'd only ever seen Orphano and the surrounding waters.

"Archer, this is Alexander Rusher. He's our navigator," Denver said, bringing his attention to the tall blonde boy leaning against the frame of the door.

"A pleasure to meet you, Minnow," Rusher said, clearly amused. He was taller than Archer, but he dipped his chin down so it didn't feel that way. His hair was as straight as his nose, and his eyes sparkled with sarcasm.

It was odd to meet a man that he felt he already knew. Farley spoke little of Rusher's character, but a lot of his talent. He said that taking the navigator out would be the equivalent of making the Avourienne nearly blind.

"Minnow is what we call the new guys," Denver explained. Then, "Rusher is a face you'll see around here often. The most talented navigator in Myria—the only navigator to have charted Myria fully, if at all."