Chapter 06

Dylan's passes connect with me perfectly and I score touchdown after touchdown. By the time the first half is done, we are more than sure that we have already won.

So by the time the game is over half the stadium is already at Dylan's house, celebrating.

The party is in full swing when I arrive. Dylan is at the front with Wayne, a guy from the team, a bottle of beer dangling beside each of them. Dylan sees me walking over to them and breaks into a drunken grin.

"Cheers for the man of the game. Ladies and Gentlemen, Brian Jenkins," he roars.

He receives no applause from the background, apart from Wayne's tipsy whoop.

"Stop it, man," I say, punching him in the arm.

"Woah woah, he's  super feisty," Dylan begins, with a mischievous look in his eyes, "Now that he's gone on a date with Kara Merrick."

I hide a smile creeping on my lips, my heart pounding stronger at the thought of accomplishment. But the thought of something weighing me down isn't playing well with my mind. I want this thing to be over with.

The dare. Pulling stupid grins in front of a girl. It's making me feel like crap. I want the dare to be over and bask in the glory of winning it as soon as possible.

"Yeah, that's right. I went on a date with Kara Merrick," I say, my chin high, "Now I can break up with her, right?"

Dylan looks at me a full minute, his smile falling. He lets out a genuine sigh, pushing an arm around my shoulder.

"You see, for the dare to work you have to have a relationship," Dylan says, his eyes connecting with mine.

"I went on a date."

The look in his eyes tells me that he thinks I don't get it.

Maybe I don't. I don't care. But that's beside the point. Winning the dare is what is important.

"Jenkins, this is not about winning a dare," Dylan says.

The heck with it. This is all about winning the dare. If it is not about the dare, I would not even bat an eyelash in the direction of Kara Merrick.

"This is about you learning how manipulative girls can be. How they make you their servants and enjoy watching you follow them around. And most importantly, this is about you learning to appreciate the freedom it gives to live untethered."

"But I know that. I know what it is like to be free," I say.

I've been single and free my whole life. What's more to know about it?

Dylan raises a finger, "You know what it is like. But you don't appreciate it enough. To truly appreciate what you have, you have to first lose it," he takes a dramatic swig of beer.

Wayne nods along to whatever crap that Dylan says. I'm not sure if the alcohol is messing with their brains but that sure sounds like crap to me.

"That's the dare, Jenkins," Dylan tells me.

Whatever it is, I don't care as long as it is something I can win.

"Alright fine," I say, plucking the bottle of beer off his fingers and taking a swig myself, "What do you suggest I do?"

"Just let it brew men, keep her close until she thinks that she has you under her power. Wait for her to exert her power over you. Then, you break free," Dylan says, giving a loud thump on my back.

"Whatever, man," I hand him his beer, "Where's Noah?"

"He went off to get himself another beer, you should grab one too," Wayne tells me.