Chapter Twelve - Disappearing Act

I could see the sky behind the mountains in the distance as it transitioned to darker shades, reminding me of how long I'd been sitting there.

I think it's time to stop wallowing in self-pity, I told myself.

Deciding I would make dinner, I stood from the couch, catching a glimpse of the pool in the backyard as I did so.

A swim would feel so nice right now...

Forgoing dinner, I went to retrieve my bikini from my suitcase. I changed and wandered downstairs where Luca had mentioned the pool access was.

On the lower level were two empty bedrooms, two accompanying bathrooms, and a large bonus room in between the two bedrooms that boasted a TV the size of a small vehicle.

Surrounding the TV was a large sectional sofa and several pieces of sports memorabilia. Hockey sticks, shadow boxes full of jerseys and pucks, and shelves lined with trophies were hung on the wall.

Along the far wall was a large window that had a sliding door to get outside into the backyard.

I slid the door open to be met with a patio where a hammock was swinging in the gentle breeze between two posts that supported the deck overhead. I could see the adirondack chairs circling a fire pit to my left and the pool directly in front of me.

Walking past the pool chairs, I walked up to where the hot tub was, its waterfall flowing off one edge into the pool below.

Does he just leave this on? I thought, lowering myself into the warm water. The jets were running, massaging the aching muscles in my arms and back.

This was a great idea.

I felt the tension in my shoulders release as I continued to watch the sky grow dark around me, nightfall setting in.

Deep in thought, I almost screamed when the lights came on; illuminating the pool and the hot tub with a soft blue glow and scaring the shit out of me in the process.

I looked up to see Luca walking out of the sliding glass door.

This was a bad idea.

He walked over to where I was as I pretended not to notice him.

"It's a little chilly for that," he commented, sitting down near the edge.

"It's not that bad."

I sunk down into the warm water a little lower.

We were awkwardly quiet for a few moments, neither of us knowing what to say.

"You should get in," I told him, finally breaking the silence.

"I don't have trunks."

Sure, you own a pool, but not a swim suit, I thought.

"You don't have to have one," I said.

When I saw his reaction to my words, I immediately blushed.

"I meant that you could get in in your shorts," I clarified.

Luca didn't say anything for a few moments before he sighed, kicked off his tennis shoes, removed his socks, and reached behind him to pull his shirt over his head.

Tossing his shirt to the side, Luca lowered himself into the water to sit opposite of me. His pecs and shoulders flexed with the movement, the muscles in his arms prominent.

I looked away, feeling myself begin to gawk and drool.

However, I fought desperately to keep from making eye contact with Luca for another reason: I knew he wanted to talk about my dad and I couldn't even bring myself to think about him.