"Journal of a Lady of Fashion"

The following short article was printed in the June 1819 issue of La Belle Assemblee.

Although written as a fictional satire of fashionable society at the time, to modern eyes it's also an interesting, if slightly exaggerated, insight into the habits of a Lady of Fashion at the end of the Regency era.

I've transcribed the whole thing here, as originally printed. The only change I made was to separate each of the "journal entries" for ease of reading. Underneath, I'll provide some explanations for the words and phrases that might need clarification.

~~~

"Passing the other morning with two friends through the Burlington Arcade, a lady and gentleman hastily brushed by us, in all the outward and visible modern Dandyism; the lady as she passed drew a handkerchief, highly scented with otto of roses, from her ridicule, and a paper dropped at my feet. I caught it up with the intent of delivering it to her, when the Arcade being uncommonly full, she was out of my sight in an instant; and as we entered every shop, in vain, to discover the fair fugitive and her companion, we took it for granted that they had bowled off in one of the many carriages were stationed at the entrance.

The paper was crumpled and unsealed; l therefore, when at leisure, glanced my eye over its contents; they were such as rendered it totally unworthy being advertised: the public may, however, find some thing to divert them in this curious

JOURNAL OF A LADY OF FASHION

Half-past One.—Opened my eyes, turned, stretched, and yawned.— (Mem.) I like to rise early. Called for my chocolate.— (Mem.) Not thick enough: I with great difficulty drank three cups.

Two.—Called for a cambric déshabille—put it on—altered my mind—put on my Circassian wrap.— (Mem.) I must buy another zone for it.

Half-past Two.—Sent to order my carriage—altered my mind.— (Mem.) Lady Evergreen said she would call in her's, to go to C——'s.— (Mem.) Lady Evergreen is sitting for a Venus for Lord Fribble.— The Miss Fudges are at the door, and will not be denied. Odious wretches! The dear girls have promised to dine with me at seven this evening. My Lord is at the frightful House of Commons.

Three.— Went with Lady Evergreen to C——'s. The old Dowager ogled Sir Edward.— (Mem.) Her eyes want expression! Sir Edward leered at me. Evergreen reddened—I laughed at the poor victim; and Sir Dennis Fitzalpin came in. Sir Dennis is sitting for a miniature for Lady Betty Blindacre.

Four.— Went to the Pall-Mall haberdashers; tumbled over their goods—bought nothing.— (Mem.) Never to put on a Madras turban again: they are so dreadfully common.

Half-past Four.— Returned to dress.— Ordered my lilac opera robe—changed my mind—my Lord is coming up to see me; I know not what pretence I can make for refusing him.— (Mem.) Husband's visits are as great a bore as tradesmen's.— My Lord requested me to go to the odious play. How can I give up the dear delightful Italian Opera for English screaming? Must go this evening to see Wanted a Wife and The Jew of Lubeck.— (Mem.) I will try to make interest with the big Kemble not to have these performed again on Opera nights. Mrs Bosky always dresses after the Countess of ———: how absurd to suppose her unwieldy corps can vie with that lovely woman for taste and elegance!—Frivolle, my woman, run the tooth of an ornamental comb in my head, while she was telling me a piece of scandal relative Lady Quaffit and Lord Geehup. I begged she would desist, for her penetration was rather too acute just then.

Half-past Six.— This odious dinner hour prevented me from finishing my toilette as I ought.— (Mem.) I always go down before the viands are quite cold.