Chapter 31

Three weeks later
I sat on the beach watching the sun dip below the horizon. The waves lapped at my feet as the tide slowly crept in. I felt a small breeze nip at my bare arms. I looked at Jesse as he drew stick figures in the sand. "I still can't believe this is my life now." I said, more to myself than him. "Well you should, you deserve it. You need to enjoy life, especially now that there's nothing following you." He was right after that day the police didn't investigate too much as he was a known criminal. It honestly couldn't be more perfect, yet that was what scared me. I'd never been able to truly relax, and I constantly felt like everything was going to fall apart. I felt an arm round my shoulders and in an instant my doubts fell away. I know I deserve to be happy and nothing should get in the way of that.

"Hey you two love birds, come and help me lock up." Maxi yelled from the tower. "I guess some things never change." Jesse said standing up and brushing the sand off. "Race you to the tower?" I said as he pulled me up. He started running instantly. "Hey not fair!" I yelled running after him. I reached the tower a fraction of a second before him. "See I need all the help I can get." He smiled before opening the door to the tower. I laughed as I went round pulling the shutters down.

Once we finished up we headed to the cafe for some drinks. Harrison and Jesse had turned eighteen recently and were enjoying the freedom that came with it. "Three beers and a coke please." Maxi ordered. I went and sat at a table in the corner, I looked down the beach and recalled the first time I sat there and how that day turned my whole life upside down. Without it I might be in Brazil right now on another mission. The others sat down and we talked about the crazy stories from the day. "I can't believe that guy was so stupid, I mean who loses their shorts?" Maxi said. I laughed, "I'm sorry, but it's always the tourists, they just can't swim."

The night drew cold quickly and we all headed home, I'd bought a house near the beach and, not wanting to be on my own, is invited Jesse to stay with me. I walked up to my room and stood on the balcony, listening to the ocean in the distance. I heard the door open and close behind me and a pair of arms wrapped around my shoulders. "Enjoying the view?" He said, I could hear the smile on his face. "Never seen a better one." I smiled as I waited for the response I knew was coming. "Well I'm a bit offended about that one." We both laughed as I turned to face him. "Ah so much better." He leant down and kissed me and I just knew that I was officially and completely normal.

Case closed.