Chapter 19: His File

Loren's POV

Melissa and I squeezed Emma one more time before boarding our plane back to Seattle. The last few days flew by and I wasn't ready to go back home. We had spent our days biking through Central Park, hopping from museum to museum, shopping, eating good food, and touring the city.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking and on behalf of the staff on board today, we welcome you to flight 36 from New York to Seattle. The weather in Seattle right now is cloudy with intermittent rain showers and local time is 4:00 PM..." I listened to the captain speak as I had one ear bud in.

Melissa was working on some lesson plans on her laptop as I stared out the window watching the city disappear behind us.

Six hours later we landed in Seattle, the rain welcoming us home. "If i'm being honest, I did miss the rain" I laughed as we grabbed our luggage.

"Yeah?" Melissa questioned, "Is there anything else you missed?" She asked raising her eyebrows, clearly suggesting at a certain someone. We hadn't talked about Killian for much of the trip except for that one time at the bar. Emma told me to talk to him and hear him out, just not right now... whatever that meant. She wanted him to fight for me but he wasn't even calling me anymore so wasn't it already over? He clearly didn't want anything to do with me anymore.

"Yeah but not that it matters" I scoffed, "He hasn't called me or texted me since I left".

"Maybe he's just giving you space, would you rather he call you a million times? He already tried before you left. He must have figured you need space so he's giving you that."

I rolled my eyes at her wisdom. She was right. If he had called me a million times I would have blocked him and changed my phone number, not that it would stop him anyways. He could easily find my number again.

"Okay okay, you have a point there. But i'm not ready to talk to him yet." I sighed

"Fair enough, you'll know when the right time is" She smiled at me as we walked to her car.

Thirty minutes later we pulled up to my house, my eyes struggling to stay open. The prior night the three of us went out to the clubs and were up all night. I was thankful that we had a later flight but I was still so hungover and tired.

"Thanks for such a fun week, it was so needed" I hugged Melissa as I closed her trunk.

"I think we all needed it!!" She hugged me back and drove off as I walked to my door. On the floor mat in front of my front door was a manila envelope with my name written on it. I furrowed my eyebrows as I wasn't expecting a package and it didn't even have a mailing label. I picked it up and walked inside. Setting my luggage down and taking my shoes off, I set the envelope on the counter. All I wanted to do was take a shower.

I ran upstairs and started the shower, picking out a hair mask to use. I washed my body and hair, shaving my body as my hair mask revived the poor strands that had to live in the New York pollution for the last few days. Once I was done I hopped out and put my fluffy robe on and wrapped my hair in a towel. I put a rubbed a few serums followed by my moisturizer on my face, lathered my legs in lotion, and hopped onto my bed to catch up on social media.

A few hours later I slowly opened my eyes and my room was pitch black. Rubbing my eyes, my hair pulled on my head making me remember that it was still wrapped up in the towel. I must have fallen asleep by accident. I groaned as I grabbed for my phone, the time on the screen reading 8:37. Ugh, I took a 3 hour nap without even meaning to. My hair was still damp and wrapped in the towel which made me cringe. Ugh.

I walked downstairs to go make some food. As the pasta boiled I sautéed some cherry tomatoes and garlic along with spices in a pan. Once the food was ready I walked over to the living room and sat at the TV, turning it on to some reality TV show. I watched as two women who had clearly gone overboard on the botox argued with each other in a restaurant.

Suddenly a knock on the door pulled my attention from the show and made me jump. I walked over to the window and saw a delivery truck drive away. I opened the door and on the floor mat was a big box with some flower delivery company name on the side. I pulled the box inside and opened the box, inside it was a crystal vase with blush pink roses, similar to the ones Killian had given me on our second date. There were also peonies and hydrangeas mixed throughout. The whole arrangement was beautiful and smelt even better. Hidden in the flowers was a small card. I opened it and read its contents.

Call me. -K

How poetic. I rolled my eyes and scoffed. The flowers are beautiful though. But not enough to make me talk to him. In fact, his little message might make me wait another week before I call him.

The yellow manila envelope caught my attention in the corner of my eye. I had totally forgotten about that strange envelope that was sitting on my porch. I set the flowers down on the coffee table and picked up the envelope. I could feel a semi-thick stack of papers inside of it. Pulling out its contents, I saw two files inside of it. One with my name and one with Killian's. A sticky note stuck to both of them. I read the one on mine first.

This file contains everything that my PI sent me about you. Nothing more, nothing less.

Okay? Not like I asked for this or anything. Besides, I had already scrolled through this on his laptop. I scrunched my nose in confusion as I thought why he would send me this. I read the sticky note on his file now.

This file contains everything that my PI is sending you about me. I have not looked at its contents. Humor yourself with it.

"hUmOr yOuRsELf WitH iT" I spoke out loud as I carried the files over the the couch as I watched one of the women in the show storming out of the restaurant. Exactly what I wanted to do to this situation.

I stared at both files as I tried to decide which one to look at. I decided to open mine since I had already seen most of it anyways. The first page was the photo of me that I had seen on his laptop. Goosebumps formed on my skin as I realized that somebody had taken this photo without my knowledge.

I flipped over to the next page which was the list of my phone numbers, last 3 addresses, schools, and all of the jobs I had. At the bottom was a section titled "Criminal Records" and under it was "None on file".

On the page after that was a profile on Melissa, all containing similar information about her. I flipped through the pages about Emma, other acquaintances, my parents, but paused at Bryces. There wasn't much information on him but what caught my eyes was the column at the bottom of the page. Under criminal records was an encounter for domestic abuse from the night we broke up. This was something that I hadn't even told Emma or Melissa about. I paused as I wondered why Killian never asked me about this.

Closing my file, I looked over at his which was significantly thicker than mine. I opened it to a headshot of him, probably taken from his companies website. I smiled as I looked at his serious face. His hair perfectly combed over, as usual. His lips with a slightest smile on them, as if the camera man was begging for a smile at the moment. His eyes were strong, powerful, and deep. I sighed as I closed the file. I didn't want to do this. I didn't care anymore. I would rather find things out about him from him.

To be honest, Emma was right. The things in the file weren't as bad. They were just basic background checks. He was a businessman and needed to know who he got involved with. Could I blame him for being cautious? No.. I guess not. No matter how much I wanted to be mad, I couldn't. But I still didn't want to talk to him. I needed to cool down first, besides... I wanted to see what else he would do for my forgiveness.

I yawned and make my way upstairs. I was still on New York time. It was already midnight there and I was running on just a few hours of sleep. I fell asleep as I imagined falling asleep in Killian's arms. A wave of peace dropped over me and I drifted into the darkness.

***

Where is everybody from?? I'm curious to know where my readers are!!!

Don't forgot to vote!!