29 | REMINDER

"If you walk into that office without a chocolate croissant for me, I'm tossing you out of the fortieth-floor window," Jenna threatens

I gaze at all the chocolate croissants in the display in front of me as I stand in a little pastry shop, picking up a few snacks for everyone at our CSR meeting, which is scheduled for about a half hour from now. "I don't think Ace will let you unbolt the windows," I tell her.

"Don't test me, Hammond. I will throw a chair through a window, followed by you and pay him for the damage."

"Somehow, I doubt that," I tease.

"Tease," Jenna calls me out, "I'm just leaving the office. I'll see you soon. Get something for Elliot, too, please. He said he'll drop by."

I tell her okay and that I'll see her soon and slip my phone back into my bag.

Five minutes later, I pick up the box of pastries and a coffee to go and turn.

A voice from the table closest to the door stops me in my tracks. "Isa?"

I turn in that direction to find Jesse grinning at me as he stands and steps over to me. "Fancy running into you here."

"Hey, Jesse." I smile back. "It's nice to see you."

Jesse's grin is evergreen and with his glossy, shaggy blonde hair and light brown eyes, he is the human form of a golden retriever. I don't know how you could ever hold it against this man that he confuses salt with sugar in his cooking. I just want to scratch him behind the ears and tell him that he's been a good boy.

"It's great to see you, too, Isa." He pulls me in for a one-armed hug and steps back immediately, "Oh, sorry. I should have asked."

I shake my head. "Well, you should, but it's fine."

He gestures to his table on which is a cup of coffee and a piece of cake. "Would you like to join me?"

He's grinning at me with his golden retriever face and I hate him so much for it.

And I agree.

I slide into the chair in front of his and I don't know how he does it, but he grins. While he's already grinning.

"Sorry I didn't get to talk to you the other day."

"Which other day?" I ask, taking a sip of my coffee.

Jesse gestures. "That day at the restaurant."

"Jesse, I didn't even give you a chance to say hi. I practically ran out of there."

Jesse chuckles a little. "I guess. Marco practically ran after you." He laughs again. "You should have seen his face. You seem pretty cool. I can tell why he's fond of you."

I raise an eyebrow.

"Come on, Isa. The guy practically left a Marco shaped hole in the glass door of the restaurant when he left."