Chapter 452: Hidden Strength

"How did you know that punting the decision to Colonel Lowenfield would work?" Iris curiously asked Ves after they stepped out of the professor's office.

"It's simple. As much as we should respect Professor Velten's accomplishments, you have to realize that she's a single cog in the machine that keeps the Flagrant Vandals running. An important cog, but still a tool nonetheless. Her priorities are derived from orders from above, so we shouldn't expect any flexibility from her. To get an exception, we have to reach the ultimate authority who issued those orders."

From what Ves had gathered about Colonel Lowenfield, she did whatever it took to achieve her goals. That was not to say that she was ruthless, but she recognized she needed to bend the rules sometimes in order to keep the Flagrant Vandals afloat through these difficult times.

"I see. That's very smart of you, Ves, though I won't imagine the professor being pleased with what you pulled off. You did disregard her words in front of her face."

"She's not the one in charge around here. The stakes are too high to follow the normal process. Only by reaching someone who has to take the entire situation into account is qualified to decide on our proposal."

He hadn't been wrong about the colonel. Despite never having met the figure, Ves heard more than enough stories to paint a basic picture about the commander of the Flagrant Vandals.

Rumor had it that she hadn't climbed the ranks of the Vandals. Instead, she used to lead another mech regiment before being banished to the Vandals after their previous commander 'mysteriously' disappeared.

Her posting should have been her downfall, but instead her competence and go-getter attitude revitalized the declining mech regiment. Naturally, most of the Vandals weren't aware that their existence ran on borrowed money, lots of it in fact.

Hence why this upcoming assault was all the more important. Its scale surpassed a casual raid, but did not reach the level of a full invasion. Their main goal was to steal everything of value and wreak havoc upon the industries of the Vesians, all the while taking into account that enemy reinforcements might arrive at any time.

Speed would therefore be essential to the assault. They couldn't afford the time to play it slow and safe. The Vandals needed to overwhelm the defenders quickly, and that meant throwing lots of Inheritor mechs at enemy positions.

"Ves?"

"Yes, Iris?"

"What do you think about the Vesia Kingdom?"

Ves slowed his pace in the corridor. Why did she ask such a question to him? "I'd say they're our mortal enemies. No offense, Iris, but your state has tried to conquer the Republic over and over again. It's hard not to wish ill of the Kingdom."

"It's okay. I feel the same way." Iris responded with a gentle tone. She even slid closer to him and wrapped an arm around his back. "I hate the circumstances we live in. Everyone is brought up from birth to respect the nobles and to fight for their cause. We didn't even realize we were tools to the ruling class until we suffered in person."

"Your family even collaborated with the MTA, right? That should have been a great honor."

The Jupiter Family did well in the Kingdom, but ultimately they weren't part of a noble House. It only took one incident to tear down everything their lineage had built.

Iris shook her head. "The Vesian ruling class are predominantly mech pilots, did you know that? Competition between heirs is fierce, and often the one who has the bigger fist will win the battle for succession. People have a tendency to flock to potentates, but they don't realize that much of their lives revolve around training to fight. When every position of leadership in our state is occupied by a glory-hungry battle fiend, it's no surprise that they are constantly chafing to go to war with your Republic."