Chapter 41: To revive

I watched Sirius, fearing closing my eyes and not finding him when I opened them. He looked at the field and stared at me after any movement I made. It suddenly started to rain. Great. I was about to tell Max to stop to get into the cabin anyway, but I saw Sirius looking up at the sky.

It was a beautiful, mystical image to see him contemplate the sky while the drops of water fell and ran down his handsome and manly face. He closed his eyes, and I seemed to see the ghost of a slight smile on his lips. Soon the rain became more torrential. He slid a little lower, resting his head on the edge of the chute, letting the rain continue to fall on him.

Someone knocked at the window from inside, drawing my attention. It was one of the twins. He opened the window on his side and leaned out a bit.

"Do you want to come in here?" he asked.

"No, thanks," I replied.

He shrugged and closed the window. It didn't matter getting wet if Sirius was happy in the rain. I looked at him again, the rain running down his skin, cleaning the bloodstains. His expression was completely calm. He seemed as glorious as ever, and I still had difficulty assimilating that he was there with me. 

He opened his deep green feline eyes and fixed them on me.

"Come here, or I won't be able to close my eyes in peace," he murmured.

My heart skipped a beat, and I immediately blushed. I wanted to crawl closer, but I couldn't help almost to throw myself on top of him, not only because of my momentum but also because of the rough terrain the truck was running through. He straightened up and spread his arms, welcoming me into after my awkward movement and cradling me against his body.

I settled on his side and wrapped my arms around his waist as I buried my face by his neck. The rain had soaked me too, but now it was welcome. I felt it continued with the hard work of cleaning and removing the pain from my interior.

"My beloved," I whispered to him.

He turned his face, brushed his nose across my forehead, looked back at the sky, and closed his eyes. I also closed them, but I didn't try to fall asleep. I was still afraid that he would not be there later when I woke up.

***

A slight jolt made me snap my eyes open, scared. Damn, I slept! But relief came over me, calming me soon when I saw Sirius in my arms. Yes, it had not been a dream. I smiled broadly for the first time in a long time and tightened my arms around him. He did the same in response. 

He was asleep but fine and next to me. I readjusted myself, kissed his jawline, feeling his beard, and took a deep breath. It had already stopped raining, but a few drops of water fell from his hair.

The truck began to slow down until it came to a complete stop. The boys came down.

"We're here," Max announced.

I straightened up with some difficulty and leaned on one hand as I stroked Sirius's face. Ursa and Symphony kept looking at me with some resentment, but it was irrelevant to me now. One of the twins gave Sirius a slight shake.

"Hey, we're here," he told him.

Sirius scowled, growling low in his throat, and went back to sleep. I smiled again.

"He must be exhausted," said the other brother.

"He'll wake up," I commented, giving him another soft kiss on the cheek.

I started to get to my feet, but when I pulled away from him, his eyes snapped open, and he straightened. He looked at us and leaned his elbows on his knees to rub his face.