Chapter 2. The Stray Kitten

Taylor Braxton stepped outside the hotel he was staying in to get some fresh air. He could have checked in one better suited to his needs, but this place had been the closest to his latest client. He would only spend one night here before he returned home. 

He was promoting a software program called Extent.Com that custom built applications to suit a client's needs, whatever business his clients were in, his company would design the software and utilize it exactly the way his clients wanted it. Being the CEO of the company had him constantly working. 

A young woman ran out of the room next to his disrupting his thoughts.  She was talking on her cell phone. Taylor stared at her curiously.  She seemed highly upset over the conversation she was having. 

"Why are you doing this to me?! You know I don't have anywhere to go! I don't have family or friends; how could you just throw me out as if I mean nothing to you?!"

Taylor listened intrigued by the conversation.

"I don't have any more money! The money you gave me wasn't enough to last a month here. Tomorrow if I don't pay them, they're going to throw me out on the streets. I'll have nowhere to go; even the homeless shelters are full. I know because I called to check, you asshole!  Could you at least give me something for food? I'm so hungry. Hello? Hello!?"

Taylor watched her stare at the cell phone as if she couldn't believe he'd hung up on her and then toss it angrily into the street.  Her hands covered her face. Her shoulders shook quietly. He could tell she was crying quietly to herself.  She still hadn't noticed him standing a few steps away from her, so he took the time to observe her.

She was a tall, slender, Black woman with long thick black hair that covered her face as she cried. Her skin was a pretty color of mocha brown. She wore a long hip hugging brown skirt with black boots and white blouse. The woman suddenly stiffened as if she felt him watching her. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hands and turned towards him. Brown eyes stared at him with slight apprehension. Taylor couldn't help but think how much they resembled a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. He couldn't see her very well in the dark, but she appeared to be pretty.

Kaitlyn Anna had no idea she was being watched until she noticed a movement from the corner of her eye. She turned around and found a very handsome White man watching her with interest. He was tall around 6'4, with long brown hair pulled back and tied at the nape of his neck. He was dressed in a business suit. How long had he been standing there and how much had he heard? She turned around to go back in her room.

"Excuse me," he said quickly.

Kaitlyn stopped and stared at him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to listen to your conversation, but I couldn't help hearing about your situation.  I wanted to know if I could be of help."

"Thanks, but what type of help could you offer me? You're not one of those guys who turn women into escorts are you?" Kaitlyn asked looking at him suspiciously.

Taylor frowned in disgust. "No, God no! My name is Taylor Braxton. I'm CEO to a company named Extend.com. Here's my card." He took a step towards her and handed it to her. "I was thinking about posting an ad for someone to help me with the minor details in my life. She or he would become my personal assistant. I pay very well, and you won't have to pay rent since you'll be living with me. If you're interested, we can discuss it in your room or mine."

"Why would you offer me a job? You don't know a thing about me," Kaitlyn said.

"If what I heard you say is true, you will need my help. I'm not the type of man that would let a woman live on the streets knowing I can do something about it, even if you are a complete stranger."