4 | Operation, Fail?

The duke proceeded to the Imperial Garden, where the Empress spends most of her time whenever my mother is in the Palace, with me still in his arms. Based on the way the duke knew perfectly which turns to take made me realize that he must've traversed this same path for so many times. He must love Anastasia's mother very much, that he could tolerate going to the Palace every single time just to pick her up when he clearly doesn't like the Royal family very much.

The sound of a fairy's laughter floated to my ears. Who was that? I'm pretty sure such a delicate sound couldn't have come from a human being.

Taking the last turn, what greeted my sight is a very lovely garden. Flowers of every kind grew in the enclosed space but the most eye-catching ones in the garden are the two beauties sitting by the stone table, sipping tea while talking like elegant noblewomen.

 Flowers of every kind grew in the enclosed space but the most eye-catching ones in the garden are the two beauties sitting by the stone table, sipping tea while talking like elegant noblewomen

The Imperial Garden

The duke finally let me down. I hurriedly fixed my dress and my hair since the duke so happily ruffled my head earlier like he's handling a puppy. Seriously, it's so annoying to be treated like a child.

"Let's go greet the Empress and your mother."

My little hands were then engulfed by the duke's large ones as he led me over to where the two beautiful women sat. The moment the lady in red saw us, her green eyes crinkled in joy which made the other lady turn to our direction as well.

Based on Anastasia's memories and my intuition as well, the lady in red must be Ophelia Kyanos von Selka, the mother of Anastasia and the current Duchess of House Kyanos. She didn't have the usual Argentian noble's silver hair since Countess Selka is a native of Ur, a frigid empire in the North, where dark colored hair dominates. Ophelia seemed to have inherited the dark indigo hair of Countess Selka which made her stand out among the noblewomen of Argent who mostly had light colored hair. Her green eyes were so vibrant that they evoke the feeling of looking at a pair of sparkling emeralds. She was a well-known exotic beauty in the Argent Empire with a long line of suitors so many were surprised to know she didn't marry a young lord but a widowed duke. Looking at her face, I can see the uncanny resemblance between Anastasia and her mother.

"Glory be to the Moon of the Empire."

The duke bowed courteously to show his respect to the Empress so I copied his movement by curtsying like a noble lady.

The Empress, with her silver hair and cold blue eyes, only nodded as a greeting. She turned her blue eyes to me and let out a small smile.

"Greetings to you as well, Duke Kyanos. My, is this Anastasia?"

She stretched her hand out to me, urging me to go forward. I was hesitant to do so but I tried hard not to show it. Her blue eyes shone with an intensity that only those of the Royal family can emit. It reminded me of a predator observing its prey before going in for the kill.