xviii.

" she rises like the blood moon, in a sky of a thousand stars burning "

_____

I get thirty minutes of peace and quiet on my own marching along the outskirts of the forest not diving in any deeper before a twig snaps behind me announcing somebodies presence. It isn't Nolan, that much I feel immediately but the werewolf is filled with a turbulence of emotions and right now its just a mixture of sadness and concern.

"I know Nolan sent you to keep an eye on me." I focus forward, walking a little further into the forestry lines stepping over a branch to enter through, "I don't want to hear it."

I swipe at my eyes where the tears have yet to stop falling.

"I think that's why they sent me."

My lip tips in a betrayal of amusement to his comment but falls miserably back down. "You can follow silently behind."

And Jack does, he makes sure to stay a few steps behind and otherwise walks behind me where the only sound being the crunch of his footsteps hitting on ground.

After a long while I breathe in deeply, exhaling loudly. "I overreacted." I murmur before sighing again and speaking louder, "I think I'm more upset with myself more than anything. Embarrassed. I feel kind of stupid for not connecting it all sooner."

"You're not stupid." Jack lowly responds.

I turn towards him eyebrows furrowed. "All those times when people called me your majesty, when they bowed I mean, come on Jack - I am a human surrounded by werewolves, Nolan is Royalty, and not once did I wonder why someone with all the power in the world would choose to spend so much time with me?"

He doesn't say anything, just stares for a moment before nodding.

I appreciate the way he only listens but I sigh out once again words tumbling out before I can get a hold on them, "I should of walked away and took the time to calm down before talking to Nolan. Words said in anger often leave a scar that can never be healed. Forgiven but never forgotten. I said some things to Nolan because I was angry at him but mainly at myself and now I fear he'll never forget them."

There's a soft snort behind me. "Forgive me, but it's okay to be angry. You have every right to be angry at King Nolan. He hid something that was fundamental to your entire being. I believe it is a good thing he won't forget them- that means he won't make the same mistake again. As for forgiveness? I believe he was never mad to begin with."

"You should of seen his face," I had paused enough to let Jack fall into step with me as we walk along the beaten path of the bushes, "he was in pain. Hurting because of what I said."

"You were too." Jack quietly points out.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "I thought you would be on your Kings side."

A sly crinkle of his eyes tells me of his amusement. "But you are my Queen."

My breath halts. I snap my head forward at the implication and reminder of who I was now. My title having never been said so blatantly out loud with- there's something wrong. My feet halt, my heart immediately pounding at the sudden thought. "Stop." I order. Jack had immediately fallen to attention before I had even spoken and goes rigged. "Do you feel that?"

"Someones here."

"No," I lowly speak, "something is here. Do you feel it?"

I make a step to move forward but Jack's arm reaches out to stop me, a noise of affliction releases from his throat. "Your majesty, don't move."