Part 1

A/N: So this video is the inspiration for this story. Honestly, it's a really interesting concept, and I would love to see some more work done with this idea in mind. Credit goes to Rinsou on YouTube.

"You demanded a retrial because you believe there was 'foul play' during the last trial. I gotta ask why you think that. You all concluded that trial with Maki being Kokichi's killer. " Monokuma gave me a cold stare.

The electronic bear made a good point. The last trial went very smoothly, with all evidence pointing towards Maki at the very end. As damning as that evidence was, the trial itself went way too fast. Maybe I'm being biased since Maki was one of my closest friends, but still. She was the Ultimate Assassin, if anyone could have gotten rid of evidence quickly it was her.

Looking around the room, I saw what remained of my classmates: Himiko Yumeno, the Ultimate Magician, Kirumi Tojo, the Ultimate Maid, K1-B0, the Ultimate Robot, and of course, Shuichi Saihara, the Ultimate Detective. All of them stared at me as I took a deep breath.

"Because something doesn't add up," I replied. I looked at Monokuma straight in the eye before continuing, "I think we could all agree that the last trial was very short, I mean, all the evidence suggested that Maki was in the garage when Kokichi was killed. But what if something else was involved? What if she was framed?"

"Nope! - Nope, nope, nope. The one who killed Kokichi was none other than Maki Harukawa, the Ultimate Assassin. What makes you think otherwise?"
"Because Maki had promised Kaito! Before his disease killed him, she promised she wouldn't kill anyone. Why would she break that only a few days after his funeral?" All three of their deaths came to mind, as I looked at their portraits: Kaito, lying peacefully in a pool of blood before Monokuma took his body, Kokichi, lying in the garage bathroom with several quivers in his body, and Maki, her face full of shock as she is shot in the head during her execution. Monokuma used a sniper target instead of the usual "x" on her portrait to make it worse. As if witnessing her dying in that fashion wasn't enough.

"Because that's an assassin's nature. Besides, it was obvious there was no love lost between the culprit and victim. Puhuhuhu. Boy was it entertaining, I've never seen such animosity between two of my students. Makes me wish they were still here."

I clenched my fist before stating, "no, I refuse to believe that Maki would just break her promise! Kaito believed in Maki even after we found out that she was an assassin. Maki became our friend, and we need to believe in her, just like Kaito did!"

"Kaede..." Shuichi looked at me with admiration. I got stares from the rest of my classmates too.

"Kaede, I must say that I find your faith in Maki admirable. In fact, I wish to support you in this matter, but I must ask if you have evidence. If you do not then this trial will be a waste," Kirumi gave me a concerned look.

"Yes, I believe I do. But I'll need your help here. I want to be a hundred percent sure. I'm not leaving any room for doubt."

"I see," Kirumi paused before continuing, "Then I will be fully supportive in this matter." The maid bowed in her usual fashion.

"As will I," quipped Keebo.

"Me too!" shouted Himiko.

"Kaito was my best friend, and he had full faith in Maki. So I'll do the same!" Shuichi smiled at me as he made that statement.

"Thanks, guys..." I almost felt tears well up in my eyes. It wasn't time to get sentimental though. "If I'm right, then Maki was really innocent." I pointed at Monokuma before shouting, "And if this is right, then I'll expose this game for the lie that it is!"