Chapter 13 ~ Friends or Foes?

'A heroine can't be friends with a villainess'... is what Dylan thought. 

"Dylan!" A melodic voice called from the end of the hallway. "Dy—oops, I mean Lady Dylan, wait up!"

Grisa's smile seemed as if it was capable of capturing all the joy in the world. Her shimmering green eyes were gentle. They looked at Dylan with a softness she had never encountered before.

'I guess her dorm is in the same hallway as mine.'

"Good morning," Dylan said, pulling her school books tightly against her chest. "Lady Grisa can just call me Dylan. There's no need for honourifics." 

Not using honourifics is considered to be rude. Dropping them implies a high degree of intimacy and is generally reserved for family, lovers or close friends. For Dylan—who grew up without a title—it felt burdensome having to use them all the time.

Grisa's eyes lit up with excitement. "Then call me Grisa!"

Thud. 

Mina threw open the door to Dylan's room from the inside. After nearly tearing the door off its hinges, she stomped out into the hallway with a frustrated expression. 

"Milady, what are you doing?" Mina scolded, shoving Dylan's pill bottle in front of her confused face. 

"Hah," Dylan let out an exasperated sigh. She had tried to eat this morning, but whenever she pictured Axil's face she was overcome with the sudden urge to vomit. "I-"

"You didn't touch your medicine this morning, yet alone your food! Milady can't leave until she eats."

Grisa looked back at Dylan. Her expressive eyes looked like they were purely concerned about her. It was a gaze that made Dylan feel strange. 

"I know," Grisa said. "What if I watch over Dylan for you? I'll see her again at lunch, so I'll make sure she eats and takes it."

'Huh, at lunch?'

Mina frowned. "Please make sure she eats something light," she said. "It's very important."

"Yes," replied Grisa, nodding enthusiastically. "You can count on me."

Dylan's eyes widened in surprise. Grisa had absolutely no reason to watch over her, yet she was adamant on doing so. A small laugh escaped from Dylan's lips as she thought about it. This whole thing was becoming very interesting.

'Well, Grisa is that kind of person, I guess. It wouldn't hurt if she saw me as someone weak and in need of help. I could use this to my advantage.'

"You really are too kind," she said, pretending to act pitiful. "I've been sickly since I was a child, so it's no big de—"

"That's nonsense!" Grisa interrupted. "Your health should not be taken lightly."

"Oh my, I suppose you are correct..."

"Let's go," Grisa said in a tone that almost sounded like a song. She grabbed onto Dylan's sleeve and pulled her towards the stairs. "I'll walk you to your first class, Dylan."

***

It was just eye contact, but Dylan's mind was a complete and utter mess.

'How did this happen?'

"Lady Dylan."

Dylan's thick eyelashes trembled noticeably under his gaze. "C, can I help you, Your Highness?"

Dylan's morning classes had passed relatively quickly. She was a bright student who didn't need a lot of instruction to master a skill. She followed along with course content effortlessly, skillfully taking notes and answering questions when needed. 

Most of Dylan's classes were filled predominantly with male students. Since women were expected to marry and lead domestic lives, they took classes to make this condition as eligible for them as possible. 

Dylan was okay with not making any friends and being the only girl in her classes. The problem was the looming figure standing in front of her. 

Confusion spread across Dylan's face as Prince Caspian kneeled before her.

"N, no," Dylan stuttered nervously. "Get up quickly, Your Highness! W, what are you..."

Kneeling was a sign of reverence and submissiveness. A member of the Royal Family kneeling in front of someone inferior in status was something unimaginable. 

"Where did you get that?" He asked, gently brushing his fingers against her bruise.

Startled by the touch on her cheek, Dylan leaned backwards in her chair. She avoided his eyes with a troubled look, her earlobes flushing red with embarrassment. 

Although the texture of his hand was rough with calluses from the handle of a sword, the touch was warmer and softer than Dylan thought it would be.

Dylan, unable to answer his question, reflexively bit her lips.

"Lady Dylan," he said, this time much louder.

"I, I'm fine, Your Highness. It was an accident."

Caspian raised one eyebrow. "An accident? It looks like someone hit you."

The topic came about due to his curiosity, but Dylan's face seemed like it would burst into tears at any moment. Caspian decided not to pry anymore, rising from where had kneeled.

"Then would you like to have lunch with me?" He asked, changing the topic.

"L, lunch?" Dylan echoed, her face turning paler as if she was being sentenced to death. "W, with you?"

"Yes."

Dylan laughed nervously, shaking her head from side to side. "My apologies, I already have prior arrangements for lunch today." 

The corners of his Caspian's lifted into an eerily attractive curve. 

"Prior arrangements?" He asked in a mocking tone. "You're busy?"

Dylan could only nod.

"Lady Dylan," he said in a throaty voice, "did you just turn me down?"

He grabbed her wrist. 

'What is up with this guy?'

"Yes," she replied angrily, "I said I had prior arrangements." 

Dylan jerked her hand away from his grasp and curtsied. She then turned her back to him and walked away, feeling his stare as she did.

'Stay the hell away from me.'

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

So far, you've met the three male leads from the novel. Comment what you think about each of them so far... I'm curious to see how you perceive each one!

1) Laikin de Frederique (son of a Marquis)

2) Axil de Beaumon (Dylan's brother)

3) Prince Caspian de Oberon (Crown Prince)