Chapter 14 Halloween

So, Amaris had several main problems. 

One was that it seemed if a Transfiguration spell was cast on her, it would automatically reverse itself. This was not only painful but was also yet another thing she would have to try and avoid to keep her secret.

Her second problem was that Slytherin. Who was he? Why had he helped her? How much did he know? He'd definitely noticed that something had caused Malfoy's spell to unravel but how close to reality was his theory as to what? And why did he want her to meet up with him and his friends on Halloween? Why had he chosen her?

Not that Amaris had any real intention of going, he was a Slytherin, after all, the enemies of the Gryffindors, cunning and not to be trusted. But she couldn't deny that she was curious.

And finally, she had just, stupidly, agreed to try and convince Professor McGonagall to let herself and Harry go on a day trip to an amazing sounding village. A trip, however, that is taking place on the one day she couldn't go. If she did, everyone would notice how exhausted she'd look, the same way she had last month. Then they'll start seeing patterns and asking questions that she won't be able to come up with convincing lies for. It will be all over.

The infuriating thing is that she'd had an excuse for not going, no consent form. But then she'd gone in, acting all excited. She couldn't just say that she didn't want to go, not now, not after expressing an interest. 

These thoughts and worries ran round and round her head, with no solutions presenting themselves. She couldn't do much about the first two and for the last problem, she just had to hope that McGonagall refused to let them go.

Harry had decided that the best time to approach Professor McGonagall was at the end of one of her transportation classes. Amaris stood just behind him, looking supportive but not actually helping in any way, as he mumbled through his request.

"I'm afraid not, Potter," she said "you heard what I said. No form, no visiting the village. That's the rule."

"But, Professor-" Harry protested.

The teacher cut across him. "And what do you want Lovec or are you just here for moral support?"

"Well, you see, I wasn't given a form to sign so-" Amaris said unenthusiastically.

"So it would be completely unfair not to let her go," Harry jumped in, "and my aunt and uncle, you know, they're muggles, they don't really understand about - about Hogwarts forms and stuff." Ron nodded vigorously behind him. "So if you said that we could go-"

"But I do not say so," said Professor McGonagall, standing up from behind her desk. "The form clearly states that a parent or guardian must give permission, if I made an exception for you two, then it would be unfair on everyone else." She gave both of them a sympathetic look, "I'm sorry, that's my final word. You'd better hurry, or you'll be late for your next lesson."

Harry was extremely glum over the next few days, though he tried and failed to hide it. Amaris hoped that she was doing a better job of hiding her relief. At least her deteriorating mood and energy that happened over the days leading to Halloween could be read as disappointed.

Early on Halloween morning, Amaris had just drifted off into a light sleep, when Hermione's voice jolted her awake. Despite what she had been told the previous month, Amaris had still cast the silencing and sealing charms around her but had lifted them at dawn so no one would notice. 

After making sure she didn't look too bad (no evidence of the nosebleed she had woken up with), Amaris parted the curtain. Hermione was dressed for the late October weather, with an ecstatic grin on her face. "Just wanted to let you know we're heading off now."