Chapter 23

Darsh sat in his chambers, looking at the beaded bracelet Ishani had gifted him

Darsh sat in his chambers, looking at the beaded bracelet Ishani had gifted him. He sighed as he realised how much she must be going through, and he couldn't even be there to help her.

It was her destiny, and he was simply powerless. She was always meant for greater things, and he well aware, but he still missed those days when they were there for each other.

He shook his head, shifting his mind to work. There was so much to be done, otherwise his guru wouldn't stop his tantrums.

Meanwhile,

"So last night was a bonfire?" Sahadev asked, and Ishani hummed in response, peeling the fruit with her nails.

"Here, take this." Sahadev protested, but her stern gaze made him plop the fruit into his mouth. "Did the others partake their fill? Or they haven't returned yet?" 

Judging from his expressions, the Princes didn't seem to have arrived, but it wasn't anything to be worried about.
Hunting did take time, but Ishani was relieved. Seeing his face would bring back the accidental kiss they willingly shared.  

In the modern world, it wouldn't have been such a big matter, but this was a conservative era, where men and women weren't allowed to be in the same room alone. 

She gulped as she remembered the way his lips brushed on hers. His strong hold and his gaze that she could never get used to, making her cheeks red. So tenderly he held her face, allowing her to grab his wavy hair...

Gods. She gritted her teeth at the realization. She was a mature woman, not a teenager in puppy love.

Sahadev raised an eyebrow at her red cheeks. What was she dreaming of? 

"Devi.. " He started when she sighed. 

"Nothing. Just feeling a bit light-headed. I'll feel better after breakfast." She tried to assure him, and Sahadev nodded.

"ISHANI!" She winced as a roar was heard. It was the unmistakable voice of Karna, but why?

She looked at Sahadev, who blinked and rushed out of the tent. She followed him along, clutching her odhani in trepidation. 

Karna stood at the entrance, his eyes dark red in color. Duryodhana and the others stood like they had just managed to avoid a blood bath, their faces pale and full of instant relief.

"What's the matter, Karna? Don't yell and scare all of us.." Ishani huffed as she realized that nothing had happened. Karna's eyes shifted, but he chose to remain calm.

"Actually Devi, " One of the Kauravas started when Karna raised a hand up, silencing him. 

"Ishani, I need to talk to you. Alone." His demeanor showed seriousness, so Ishani nodded awkwardly, while the others dispersed, whispering about the hunt. 

She pulled the curtain close, seating herself on the makeshift bed. 

"What is it?" She murmured, seeing him stand like a rock. He swallowed, walking towards her. She gasped in shock as he knelt, yet towering over her seated figure.