Chapter 27

~Present Day, June, 2010~

a/n: i haven't really been doing trigger warnings for some of the stuff in this book, but i just wanted to note that this chapter gets a little bit dark (nothing specifically happens, but things are strongly implied) so, proceed with caution pls and thanks :)

Carli's POV

Please...

Please, let me die...

Let me go...

I'm ready...

My eyes snap open, adrenaline coursing through me. Murphy yanks the syringe out, and my arm spasms as he does. It's the second time he's used it, and the effects are the same: heaving breaths, rapid heart beat, the pain subsiding for the briefest of moments as my body seizes against my restraints.

Murphy's standing at the table, wiping a blade clean. He didn't use it to stab me, that one. He used it for something far, far worse. My right arm is covered in blood, a soft bandage covering the wound.

Senses heightened, I feel more alert than I have in hours. I find a newfound strength in my muscles, a sharpness to my thoughts that's slowly dissolved over the course of the night.

The video was sent at least an hour ago. If the team got my message, they should be here soon. I just need to hang on. Just long enough to see them, to hold Elle one last time.

"Sam." My voice cracks, my throat dry and aching from his hands squeezing too tight.

It's a bad idea. But with the adrenaline, it could be my last chance.

He approaches, hands empty of a blade. He crosses his arms, head tilted to the side.

And in that moment, I'm filled with a hatred that burns through me, that blocks out the pain.

I'm going to kill him.

"Come here," I whisper. I keep my voice rough and low, my head hanging, pretending to be weaker than I am.

He approaches, one hand tilting my head up. I act like it's a relief. "Yes, dear?" he asks.

I hate it. It's too gentle, too close to something I would say to Elle. I close my eyes, hot tears escaping at the thought of her.

I need her.

I don't want to die like this, without her by my side.

That's not what's supposed to happen.

Murphy's grip tightens on my chin, and I realize he's waiting for an answer. I use my reaction to my advantage, opening my eyes and taking a deep breath.

"I know what you want," I breathe, eyes cast down to the floor.

"I have what I want."

"No...not all of it." I shake my head, making sure not to meet his eyes. Let him see how weak he made me. "I—I know what you really want. What you've wanted since you kissed me."

"You know nothing about what I want," he snaps. His breath puffs against my cheek, his lips too close. He forces my head up. "Look at me."

More tears. "It won't be—It won't be as satisfying, once I'm dead. You know that."

His eye twitches, and I know he's listening.

"Unchain me," I whisper. "Please, Sam. Let me die without restraints."

"Do you think I'm a fool?" he shouts in my face. "I'm not releasing you until you're dead."