Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 30: Answers

The storm was fierce but brief, and the seasickness I'd avoided claimed me as we were tossed about in the cabin. When it ended, Yoko did not spare me from strength training, and after a few minutes, sweat soaked through my tunic. The discomfort was a welcome distraction from what had happened in the corridor.

"You're stronger than I expected," Yoko admitted, watching me fight through the final five pushups. "Still, room for improvement."

"What's with the backhanded compliments lately?" I huffed, dropping to my stomach and smacking my face against the floor when my noodle-like arms failed to move fast enough. I didn't move, keeping my nose smashed into the musty hardwood floor and sending up a prayer that the fall might knock some sense into me.

"Who else has been giving you backhanded compliments?" Astreia asked.

I struggled into a sitting position and looked at her. She sat on the bed and rubbed sweet smelling lotion over her legs and arms. Yoko paced around me, but she locked her attention on Astreia as her long, elegant fingers slid inside her top to massage the sun salve on the top of her breasts.

Instead of answering her question, I deflected, "The storm appears to be over."

Yoko put her hand on the outer wall and closed her eyes. After a heartbeat passed, she pulled away and nodded. "It's drizzling, but the skies will be clear tonight."

Astreia tossed me the sun salve. "Put that on your face. Your nose is pink."

"I think we should incorporate some magic into your training. Once we're off the ship," Yoko announced.

I squeezed the bottle too hard, and the lotion splattered on my palm in a white glob. "I don't think death magic is something you practice. It's kind of one and done."

"Yes, well," Yoko agreed, "This is true, but you can practice your ice and fire magic. Don't be mad at Astreia. I wouldn't quit pestering her about how you saved Tievel, and then she told me about the fire magic."

"You're one of those," I said, glowering at my friend. Her cheeks darkened and shimmered with her blush. "Some of the maids said some elves just can't stop talking in bed."

"Honey, everyone is that person with the right partner," Astreia replied with a gentle laugh.

"Look, Morana," Yoko said, smoothing her hands over her sleek hair and sighing. "I know you and I didn't have the friendliest beginning, but I want you to know you can trust me. I believe Astreia when she said you didn't take those powers on purpose. I won't tell the prince, and if we all make it out of this, I will do what it takes to ensure you are safe."

Her declaration was enough to bring tears to my eyes, and I turned my face to hide as I wiped my cheeks. Yoko knew what I was, and yet she chose me.

"Thank you," I said at last. "I trust you."

Astreia beamed as if seeing us bonding was a dream fulfilled. Perhaps it was. I understood how difficult it could be having the two most important people in your life constantly at odds.

She slid off the bed and took my hands. "It's time I told you what I know about the war."

"Do you think now is the time to talk about this?" Yoko demanded. She cracked the door and peered into the hall. "The walls are thick, but the ears beyond them hear exceptionally well."

"Would you prefer me to wait until the walls are thin? The ears will hear well regardless, and once we're off the boat, we may not have another chance."

"I would prefer not to talk about it at all," Yoko grumbled, pushing me over so she could sit beside me. At Astreia's haughty arched brow, she threw up her hands. "But it's important."

icon lock

Show your support for H.M. Hood, and continue reading this story

by H.M. Hood
@heater0387
Like many low elves in the kingdom of Edresh, Morana was orphaned as...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @heater0387.