Chapter 42

"There's this kid Jack, who lives with his mom and they're very poor. One day, yesterday actually, Jack sells their cow for magic beans and overnight that beanstalk grows from them," I say, pointing out the window to the beanstalk in the distance. "The beanstalk leads to a city in the sky where a Giant and his wife live. The giant has money, a goose who lays golden eggs, and a harp or something. We need an egg to save Cinderella. Today Jack will climb up and steal some gold coins from the giant. The second time Jack goes up he's going to steal the goose and he'll make us pay a lot of money so we need to get an egg while the giant still has it. We also don't want to be noticed by anyone since that might change the story."

As I talk we all start to get ready to leave. I pack our bags while Nicholas and Chase get dressed and wash up.

"So what exactly is the plan?" Nicholas asks. He's very engaged in the story but Chase is still acting distant. Maybe he's still angry that I didn't mention my "powers" sooner but is trying to suppress his feelings.

"Well, since today is the first day of the beanstalk that means Jack will climb up and get the money. We're about a day away so my plan is to climb up tomorrow morning. I don't think we should trust the giant's wife and we also have to remember that the giant can smell us. I think the giant takes a nap everyday so we should probably wait until he's asleep like Jack does."

"That's half a plan," Chase says.

"Well I don't know all that much about the layout and stuff. This is the best I can do with the information I have. It's not like you've ever planned a heist before," I scoff.

"I have," he states nonchalantly.

"When?"

"Back when I was hanging out with Robin Hood."

"Oh."

"It seems like a good start," Nicholas says, jumping in the conversation to support me.

"I'm sorry I don't have more to add but based on what I know, this is the plan and we'll add to it when we learn more."

"Fine," Chase sighs.

We finish packing and check out of the inn. We follow the traveler's road down the hill but once we reach the farmlands we veer straight towards the beanstalk.

I pull up next to Chase. "Hey, can we talk?" I ask.

He breathes out sharply but doesn't object.

"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you earlier." I pause, waiting for him to say something but he stays silent, staring forward stoically. "If I'm being honest, it's easier to talk to Nicholas than it is to talk to you."

That gets a reaction. "Is this supposed to be making me feel better?" he asks.

"Well it's true. Being your friend is such a rollercoaster. I care about you but you go from teasing me to telling me things you've never told anyone else. Then you won't look at me and suddenly you hug me to keep me warm. I never know what mood you're going to be in and I never know how you're going to react. I was being a coward by not telling you but I want you to know where I'm coming from."

He goes quiet again for a long time. "I guess I do do that," he finally says with a slight chuckle.

"We both keep secrets and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. We're friends so our job is to make each other feel comfortable and safe. For the most part I do feel that way when I'm with you. If keeping something private isn't hurting anyone then I'm not going to be mad that you're not telling me about it. If talking to me about something will make you feel better than I'm going to listen. And vice versa, okay?"