12. bonding at night

Now

Pendo's room was right next to Ivy's. Just like every other door, it was varnish coated with a brass handle. When they were younger, Pendo had a massive 'Don't Enter' sign which she insisted was not being followed. It was true. What reasonable parents with unreasonable streaks actually ever listened to their child screaming for privacy? She had pulled it down with a grudge because it hadn't made a lick of difference.

Ivy knocked twice, tapping at her right foot, rubbing her arms shivering, not necessarily with cold. She didn't even know what she was going to say to her. She'd just assumed it was her sisterly duty to follow after her sister.

The door swung open, an annoyed Pendo looking up at her. Growing up, Pendo had despised the fact that Ivy was taller than her. A giant, she'd called her. She'd hated that instead of people seeing the obvious nature of her firstborn-ness, everyone just assumed Ivy was because she was taller.

"I should have put a sock," Pendo said as she let the door swing even wider, allowing Ivy to come in.

It was neat in the style that, you could see the obvious mess but it was arranged so it didn't really bother anyone. It was so much like her. The walls were as a brilliant white as her bedding. A suitcase was open on the floor, most of its content black. Pendo hadn't been back home for long, Ivy gathered.

"I don't think anyone in here would have understood that."

Ivy made herself comfortable on her sister's bed, behaving as though she were a visitor and was trying to see everything in this new room.

"What do you want?" Pendo sat on the floor, chucking her clothes from her suitcase and trying to stretch out the creased t-shirts.

"What were they talking about?"

Pendo stopped with her t-shirt ministrations and narrowed her eyes. She looked positively scary but Ivy had had years upon years of getting used to the glare. It was going to take a lot more to make her squirm.

She cleared her throat. "None of your business."

"I'm your sister. I think that makes some part of it my business."

Pendo hrmped. "Just because you don't know what to do with Storm over there doesn't mean you get to be in my business. I am not going to be your pity project."

Ivy was annoyed. Pendo's absolute superpower was angering just about anyone without even trying that hard. "You are not a pity project. You're home. You and I both know you despise being here. Mum and dad want you to go back to school. You had a church shut down. In the midst of all this, you say you're in love. Seriously, this just sounds like business little sisters butt their heads into."

"Well," said Pendo as she folded a pair of black jeans, "it seems like you already have the whole picture. I don't know what exactly you want to talk about."

"Don't be a cow!"

"Don't be fucking nosey!"

Ivy got off the bed and made herself comfortable on the ground, picking up stray clothes and folding them. "You really are in love?" Ivy could see Pendo gulp. Obvious signs of almost surrender. "What's her name?" She prompted.

Pendo sighed. "Flora." Pendo's airy laugh was so utterly resigned. "She hates that name but then she says it's kind of unique so she uses it."

"She sounds nice."

Pendo snorted. "Because her name is Flora?"

"Because only a miraculous event could have ever pushed you towards loving someone and they loving you back."