Wish_A SaiRat OS

Like everyday, when he came home in the evening, Virat found Sai on her study table, engrossed in her books. Except that she didn't really look engrossed in her books tonight. The figure in the chikankari suit and long, black veil of hair down its waist was impatiently looking around the room every once in a while, its face in a grimace.

Was she looking out for him?

Hopes! he exclaimed silently, internally laughing at himself for even thinking such.

Nonetheless, she certainly had been behaving in a peculiar manner lately, he had noticed. As he walked in, he felt her jump a little. As if someone had caught her red handed amidst a mischief. Hastily, she grabbed an upside down book and hid her face in it. With the other hand, she was writing away in her notebook - with a faux rose from the vase nearby - words perhaps even she couldn't have seen, unless his eyesight was worsening to such an extent that he could see everything clearly except a few unexplainable objects, which, instead of blurring, entirely disappeared from his view.

He squinted at her back for a while, but to no avail. She was hell-bent on maintaining the pretense of studying, which she visibly wasn't doing. At last, he sighed and decided to play along her pretense. He left her to herself and - taking in the cool breeze that entered through the open window, blowing the curtains gently - disappeared into the bathroom.

When he returned, a feast awaited him at the coffee table, much to his amusement. Sai was no more feigning deep involvement in the upside-down book. Instead, she was standing beside the table, looking at the clock hung high on the wall, her hands clasped together. When her gaze fell on him, he felt that she jumped again with surprise. Strange... and concerning.

"Sai, tum thik toh ho?" he asked, his voice reverberating in the silence.

"Huh? Han! Main... thik hun. Mujhe kya hoga?"

"Tum sach mein thik ho?" he asked again, approaching her. A quiet, normal answer from Sai Joshi? Impossible! She would surely have him regretting asking such a question. This wasn't his Sai.

"Kya, Virat sir? Kaha na main thik hun. Aaj-kal Nagpur mein crime kam hogaye hain kya?"

"Kya?" he inquired, "Tumhe aisa kyun lagta hai?"

"Kyunki mujhe nahi lagta aapke paas koi kaam-dhandha bacha hai... jitni interrogation nahi kar paatein hai uska compensation mujhse sawal-jawab karke kartein hain. Kyun?"

He smirked, shaking his head and moving towards the bed. He was probably imagining things, that was as Sai-ish as an answer could be.

"Yeh khana kiske liye laayi ho tum?"

"Usha Moushi ke liye," she replied, smiling.

"Oh... mujhe lag hi raha tha ki tum isse yaha iss wajah se laayi ho. Good," he smiled to himself. One glance at each other and both the smiles burst into laughter.

"Ab chaliye," she said when the laughs subdued, "Kha lijiye."

"Tumne khaya?"

"Pata tha," he answered himself, seeing the look on her face, "tum bhi aao."

They sat on the bed, facing each other, a plate in each lap. "Pata hai, Virat sir? Aaj Aai ne kya banaya hai?"

"Achchha, kya banaya hai?"

"Chhole!" she squealed.

He smiled, her cheerfulness filling him with joy. "Virat sir!" she exclaimed again. But before he could answer, she had stuffed an inch of chappati dipped in chhole into his mouth, smiling triumphantly. And thus, the two plates in the two laps ended up being eaten by the individual they hadn't been filled to feed.