Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Griff: "I thought you were fond of Miss Harmony Wharton. What ever happened?"

Ben: "I suppose there was simply something... missing."

B & G conversation on Compatibility 5 years prior

"I forbid it."

It was the surliness of his tone that made her hesitate, and Amy considered him with a curious tilt of her head. "I was under the impression you would deny me nothing," she teased, and began to carefully slide away from him.

Oliver tightened about her, an easy feat considering they were a veritable tangle of limbs with her sprawled over his chest. "Within reason."

"Have you always been this possessive? Or have I simply not noticed it before?"

He waggled his brows, fingers curling against the flesh of her upper arms and hauling her higher over him. "The latter, more likely. I have never strayed too far from your side, and now that you are my betrothed I can hardly think of any reason to leave it again."

"I know you jest," she murmured, distracted by the way his fingers were dancing along the curve of her back, stroking over her hips and bottom, "because I know you find little interest in Haventry's dull proceedings." His hand curled about the back of her thigh, hoisted her leg over his waist so that she straddled his hips. Her eyes went wide. "Again?"

"You will find, Miss Griffiths, that since Haventry has most certainly contributed to everything that you are, I am well and truly invested in its 'dull' proceedings," he taunted, his eyes studying her with a dark seductiveness. "And yes, again."

It was eloquently and stubbornly hardening against her thigh, the 'again'. The temptation to linger across his hips and explore this new position astride him was almost too great for her to resist, but they had whiled away far too much time alone within his chambers that were very notably barred should anyone chance to search for either of them. Though Amy had willingly fallen into his arms twice in the space of one hour and they had been marvellously uninterrupted, she knew better than to tempt fate.

"You are the devil himself," she admonished lightly and, with one last kiss, she slid off him entirely before he could find a means to rope her to the posts and keep her there for eternity.

His face was utterly petulant as he observed her retrieve her discarded robe and shrug it over her shoulders. "And what am I to do with myself in your absence?"

She pretended not to noticed the insinuating gesture he made to his arousal laying prominently against his stomach. It did make her stifle a smile though, pleased that she could affect him so. At least, compatibility pertaining to their marital bed had truly been put to, well, bed.

Twice.

Amy cinched the belt closed about her waist and hugged the fabric closed over her neck. "There are your friends to entertain," she told him as she moved toward the door. "There is a festival in the village, and Hamletta I believe is in dire need of some kissing. I am sure you are capable of thinking up something."

She pressed her palm against the frame of the door, her other poised above the bolt, when the timbre of his voice froze her actions entirely. "Came back to bed, Griff."

Glancing at him, her resolve almost withered entirely at the same time a scouring blush bled over her skin. She was surprised by her reaction, so sure that by now at least she would be immune to anything sordid and lewd considering how thoroughly he had explored her body within the last hour. But the heated look in his eye as he skewered her from where he reposed with all the sultry indolence he could muster made her bite her tongue to keep from throwing herself back atop him. As if reading her thoughts, Oliver grasped his cock and stroked himself very slowly.