Chapter 8

"Katja, why don't you bathe first, then you can get some sleep. You look like you need it," Inez said kindly.

Katja was still feeling overwhelmed with all the changes in her life, but just nodded happily. She was constantly wiping away happy tears now and couldn't seem to stop. Medya and Inez, both hugged her, Inez having to get on her knees as she towered over Katja, until she was finally calmer. "I'm sorry, this is all so new. Even something as simple as going first in a warm bath is something I never had," she apologized.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to get used to this then, Katja. We're going to spoil you," Inez grinned at the tiny blonde who just giggled in reply.

They helped Katja get out of her ragged clothes, and Medya chided herself for not trying to find better ones before they left the inn, and then helped her into the warm water. Inez couldn't help but notice the bruises on her body with the clothes gone, and then the shackle marks on her wrist that Medya had mentioned earlier. She was much happier now that the tavern keeper was dead and wouldn't do that to another slave, though she knew others would. Once she was queen, she would ensure that never happened again.

Katja lay back in the water with a happy sigh, and then slid under the water, letting it roll over her body while the older pair laughed at her reaction. When she came back up for air, Medya handed her the soap so she could clean herself, and she happily set to it. Inez then washed her long blonde hair for her, and before long, Katja was as clean as she'd been in years, though the water wasn't. Stepping out of the water, Katja wrapped herself in one of the towels, but not before Inez noticed a brand on her right hip. A large X with a T and J on either side of it was raised in a welt on her skin, no doubt the mark of the tavern keeper. Inez inwardly fumed at the treatment of this girl once more.

"How old are you Katja?" Inez asked, as it had been bothering her since they left the inn.

She lowered her head before answering quietly. "I'm 16, but I look younger. That seemed to appeal to the innkeeper."

"You'll never need to worry about him again," Inez promised.

"Now, go get some sleep, make a nest in the furs and blankets in the tent, we'll join you shortly," Medya said, pointing over at the tent.

"Thank you, I will!" Katja replied with a yawn. Handing the towel back to Inez, she stumbled naked into the tent.

"Give me a moment, and you can go next," Medya said softly to Inez who had been watching Katja with tears in her eyes. Medya could feel the shame that Inez was feeling at her first true exposure to slavery. She could only hope that she had the power to change things in the future. That would be a history she would gladly read. Kneeling beside the tub, she took off her gloves and then put her hands on either side of the copper basin and concentrated.

Inez watched, entranced by Medya's actions with the tub. The water swirled, and then as she watched, the dirt and grime that had come off Katja and into the tub was flowing up and out of the water and into a pile next to the pond. Medya sat back, sweat on her brow, and took a drink of water.

"All clean princess," she managed a weak smirk, though Inez could tell that the magic took a lot out of her.

"Thank you Medya," Inez replied, placing her hand softly on her cheek lifting her face.

Medya glanced up at her, and then couldn't look away as the blue eyes captivated her once more. She didn't even realize that Inez was taking her clothes off as she stared into her eyes, but once Inez looked down to find the buttons on the tunic, Medya realized that she had already slipped off the breaches and was about to remove even more. Blushing furiously, she staggered to her feet, trying to turn away to give Inez privacy. She hadn't taken half a step before Inez's hand gripped her arm lightly.