seven

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

I was an animal.

"Seriously dude, when I tell you I went five fucking rounds with one lady in the span of four hours I am not shitting you." I boasted to Monty as he chewed his Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

"Is it the same girl from the party after the game or..." He spoke after swallowing. I chuckled, "Monty that was Saturday. It's now Monday night, no it was not the same girl." I reached for a banana that lay in the fruit bowl on the counter across from me.

I hid my pain as I felt the familiar uncomfortableness set in my shoulder.

I couldn't even fucking grab a banana.

I had learned the hard way after that game that I was not at all recovered. I was still suffering but it was do or die, baby. I had to put myself into fight mode instead of flight. If I didn't put myself out there this season I definitely wasn't getting drafted then.

And I needed to be drafted—I desperately needed it.

There wasn't any other job out there for me. All of the other jobs included reading and writing. I couldn't do either of them that well. Football was it for me and I couldn't succeed in it; I was fucked.

"Speaking of the party—the football team better be coming to all of the basketball team's parties whenever your season is over." I bit into my banana which was now pealed as he spoke.

I gave him a thumbs up.

"What time is basketball practice?" I asked with a mouthful. He chuckled as he watched me struggling trying to swallow the fruit. "In like twenty minutes, you?" I nodded so he understood that mine was at the same time as well.

"Wanna ride together?" I asked after swallowing. He gave me a thumbs-up as I finished scarfing down the banana. I walked to my room grabbing my practice bag. I was shoving shit in my bag without a care.

I would just arrive at the facility and go straight to the trainer and tell them that I needed some ice today. I had suffered a few bad tackles on Saturday. Rutgers was a pussy team and Penn State was so much better than them in every way.