chap 8

two hours later, the prince's breakfast is starting to go cold

two hours later, the prince's breakfast is starting to go cold. the manor staff is starting to get anxious, everyone glancing continuously at the tray as the morning ticks later and later. Jin's internal clock tells him Jungkook is at least fifteen minutes late, which almost never happens. he usually trips through the doorway at home a few minutes after the tray is prepared, each human cog in the castle functioning like clockwork.

when the prince's breakfast is the last waiting-Lord Min's valet just a bit later than the rest-the cook pins Jin with sharp eyes and reaches for one of the thin leafs of paper.

"here is where the prince is staying," she says, shoving it at him when she's done sketching crudely. "take it to him. he'll have no complaints under my roof."

Jin gapes, and stares blankly at the ornate tray that had looked out of place with all the others, even the Lord's. he has no excuse, though-he's the only one here familiar with royalty, someone who might be let off easily if the prince were displeased at being woken up. better to stick out the neck of a stranger, Jin agrees, than one of your own.

he sets the scribbled map against the teapot, and picks up the tray.

the manor, at least, is less complicated than the castle. Jin had gotten lost a few times on his way to Yoongi's rooms as a teenager, and had ended up in ornate hallways in the east wing with no idea how to get back to anything familiar. the manor has twisting hallways and too many rooms, but it feels more cramped. there's less room to breathe.

by the time Jin reaches the heavy door of the guest chambers, he feels like the stone walls are suffocating him. the wood is thick enough that he can't hear what might be on the other side-whether the prince is awake, or Jungkook is already on his way down to the kitchen, or they're both still asleep, exhausted from the journey.

finally, Jin straightens his shoulders. the worst that can happen is that Jungkook is gone, and he wakes the prince up.

well-that's not the worst thing. but that hardly bears thinking about, so Jin sucks in a dusty breath and knocks gently on the door.

thirty seconds later, something slams against the other side, and the door swings open with a brief fumbling of the chain. Jin steps back, alarmed, as Jungkook's rumpled bedhead sticks out through the crack. his eyes are wide but alert, his shoulder bare.

"oh," Jungkook says, voice rough. then, again, a little louder. "oh! Jin-ah, come in."

"wait," Jin says, but it's too late. the door swings open, Jungkook's chest mostly exposed by courtesy of the lacing on his shirt, and he ushers Jin in with a smile that looks more menacing than welcoming. "i'm just here with breakfast."

"you can put it down right over there," Jungkook says, instead of taking the tray with his own, empty hands. Jin glances around before stepping in, makes sure that the prince isn't anywhere in the lavish sitting room. he makes it halfway across the room, footsteps careful on the plush carpeting, before-"