How could you lie to me?

Natasha left early the next morning. I vaguely remembered her waking me to say goodbye but I'd drifted off to sleep not long after. However, I didn't remain asleep for long as a certain nightmare started playing. The second I heard the first round of bangs I forced my eyes open. No, I couldn't start my day with that. It was only Bruce and I left in the tower, and I probably wouldn't see much of him over the day. He spent most of his time in the lab. All I knew was that the mission had something to do with HYDRA, but I couldn't know more than that.

I looked over at the clock on the night table. It was 8:47, I had a long day ahead. The thought of spending my whole day alone was unnerving, let alone the prospect that I'd have to end it with climbing into bed all alone too. But in an effort to silence these thoughts I climbed out of bed, making it neatly, before heading to the kitchen. I'd grab a quick bite to eat before getting changed and hitting the training room. I couldn't use the punching bags but I'd hit the weights and the treadmill. When I reached the kitchen I decided to grab an apple and a banana, along with a bottle of water from the fridge. It wasn't much but I wanted to eat quickly, eager to get my blood pumping.

I put on the same leggings I'd worn the other day since they were clean, and it saved me searching through my wardrobe for another pair. Heading down to the training room, I still hadn't seen Banner. He usually kept himself to himself though so it was no surprise. I put my water down at the side of the room and decided to climb onto the treadmill, starting at a light jog. But not before long I was sprinting as fast as I could and I kept this up for at least fifteen minutes, until my vision started to blur. As I slowed back down to a jog I couldn't catch my breath, gasping for air to fill my lungs. I stepped off of the edge of the treadmill and knelt on the floor, trying to blink out the black spots that had appeared in my vision. After a few minutes of lying there on the floor my breath eventually slowed, and I had the strength to stand. I can't push myself like this, I don't have the strength for it.

It took me a while to get back to my room since my legs were shaking with each step, but when I did I flopped back onto the bed. It felt so soft beneath me, taking the weight off of my aching muscles. The second I closed my eyes though the flash of a bullet filled the darkness, and I snapped them open. Silence allowed my mind to roam freely without borders, and the tower had never been this silent.
I decided that a hot shower would help ease the tension that swarmed my mind and body. So I grabbed a change of clothes from my wardrobe and headed into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I didn't always do that, but I didn't feel safe today so I did it without hesitation.
The warm water did well to soothe my sore body, but it didn't do much for my tormented mind. One day without the team, without Natasha, was the most I could do. I was sure of it. Anymore than that and I'd be exhausted, broken even.

I decided to head to the library for the rest of the day and find some books that'd help me understand my powers. Many of them didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know, but one was full of new information. It spoke about where the power originated from, how it was first discovered and what it could be used for. But the bit that interested me the most was the part about how to control it, how to use it effectively. I grabbed a notepad and pen that had been left on one of the desks and took some notes. Hopefully they would help when I next practised with Wanda.

Before I knew it the sun had set, and my stomach was grumbling. I hadn't eaten anything other than the apple and banana and I was starving. So I put the book back on the shelf and headed towards the kitchen to grab something to eat. To my surprise Bruce was in there doing the exact same, except there was nothing in the fridge. We both looked at each other, I didn't know what to do.

"How about I order some pizza?" Bruce posed the question, looking at me awkwardly.

"Yes please, as long as you don't mind." I gave him a smile, hoping he'd pick up on the genuine gratitude.