07. Family Affairs

Rage. Complete and utter rage radiated off my husband. Without him twitching so much as a single facial muscle, he conveyed more wrath than a rampaging dragon.

Cautiously, I stepped towards the door and gazed downstairs.

"So, let me guess..." I cocked my head. "It's from your family?"

All I got in reply was an incomprehensible growl.

Well...it's not silence. Yay! Progress!

Slinging a sheet around me like a toga, I stepped out of the bedroom and made my way downstairs. When I reached his side and placed a gentle hand on his back, I could feel the tension in his muscles. They were hard as steel ropes. He jerked when I touched him, only just then seeming to realize I was there. His hands clenched around the letter. Quickly, I peeked over his shoulder—but the piece of paper was visible just long enough for me to catch sight of the words "heir", "duty" and "marriage". Then my husband's hand crumpled it up into a tiny ball.

I squeezed his shoulder.

"Something the matter?" I asked, cautiously.

Silence. Icy, everlasting silence.

I opened my mouth—but before I could say a word, he abruptly turned away and, marching up the stairs, grabbed hold of his tailcoat, shirt and trousers. I followed, obviously. I mean, watching a naked Mr Rikkard Ambrose dress? The only thing that could possibly be better was the reverse. But it didn't look like I was going to get that any time soon.

"So...not in the mood for another round anymore?" I enquired, one corner of my mouth quirking up as I watched him getting dressed—far too fast, in my humble opinion.

He gave a curt jerk of the head. "I have to go make arrangements with some of my international agents and send a few telegrams abroad. Can you clear my schedule for the next few months and pack my things? It has come to my attention that a tour of my overseas businesses is long overdue. The sooner my ship departs, the better."

I nodded seriously. "You're right. You're absolutely right. It's high time you take care of your businesses outside Britain."

"Hm."

"Especially since, you know, we only just returned from inspecting one of your overseas businesses a few days ago."

Silence.

"And I'm sure it has nothing to do with your father sending you another invitation."

Silence.

"After all, it's not like you could possibly want to avoid him, right?"

"Mrs Ambrose?"

I gave him my most innocent smile. "Yes, dear?"

"Be. Silent."

Like a good little wife, I lowered my head. After all, Amy had explained to me the joys of roleplaying. Why not try pretending to be the exact opposite of what I was for a while? Might be fun. "Yes, dear."

"Any objections to my previously stated plans?"

"No, dear."

"Adequate."

"Well..." Clapping my head, I gave his back a beaming smile. "I suppose I'll be off then."

He didn't react, just continuing to button up his shirt.

With three soundless steps, I moved up behind him and slid my hand around his waist, tightening my grip around a certain something. "After all, I am your devoted wife, aren't I? I wouldn't want to make things hard for you."