Chapter 46

Blakely was waiting for me across the hall, leaning against the wall and looking down at her phone. I stepped to the side of the doorway to let the other kids through as I waited for the hall to clear. But, before I had a chance to cross the hall, Blakely noticed that I was over and pushed her way through the crowded hall to get over to me. 

"You ready?" She asked, wrapping her arm around mine. 
"Not really." I sighed. 

"Not ready for what?" Easton said behind us.

I let out an exasperated sigh and turned around. "What do you want, Easton? Do you want to humiliate me in the middle of the hall in front of all these kids passing by us? Go. Right. Ahead. I don't care anymore." I raised my arms off to the side with my palms facing up. 

Easton stood painfully silent at my comment, not taking his gorgeous grey eyes off mine. Finally, after a couple of minutes, he moved closer to me. "Do you really think that little of me?" 

"Yes." I lowered my head. 

"I'm sorry I hurt you, Chelsi." He leaned in closer to me. 

"Easton, you can't kiss me; it isn't right," I said, unable to look away. 

"It's right. Just not right now." He caressed my cheek, turned, and walked away. 

I stood there and watched him walk down the end of the hall and turn the corner toward the cafeteria. Then, without saying a word to Blakely about what had just happened, I took off, walking in the same direction as Easton toward the cafeteria. As we walked, I went over what had just happened in my head, trying to make sense of it. Blakely didn't lecture me; instead, she wrapped her arm around mine and gently squeezed it, letting me know she was there if I wanted to talk. All I knew was that this was getting more and more complicated as time went on, and I had to do something about it fast. What exactly? I had no idea. Someone would get hurt, and it would be because of me and my stupidity. 

We walked into the lunchroom, and the minute my eyes met Gavin's, my heart began to race. He was sitting over at our table off to the left side of the room, his phone in his hand. The left side of his mouth curled into one of his sexy, crooked smiles that could melt any girl's heart. I couldn't take my eyes off him as I walked over to the table. 

"I forgot to tell you earlier that you look great today?" Gavin took my hand in his. 

"Thank you." I smiled, setting my stuff in the chair next to him. "I'm going to get something to eat." I hung my bookbag on the back of my chair. I looked over at Blakely, who was waiting patiently off to the side of the table for me. Gavin got up and headed off toward the A la carte line while Blakely and I went to our ever-faithful salad bar. I kept peeking up at Blakely while I made my way around the salad bar, waiting for her to say something about what happened in the hall with Easton, but she never said anything, which was unlike her. Finally, when she turned back to the table, I looked over at Easton, who was sitting with his friends on the other side of the lunchroom. I stood there for a few seconds, watching him talk and laugh with them, and then he happened to look over my way. His eyes locked with mine; he gave me a slight smile, then went back to talking with his friends. I grabbed my veggie bowl and returned to the table before doing something stupid. 

"Chelsi, what are you doing?" Blakely whispered, leaning over the table close to my ear. I knew she couldn't keep quiet long. "I saw you looking at Easton over there at the salad bar." She frowned. 

"What do you want me to say?" I turned around to make sure Gavin wasn't walking up. 

"Do you like him?" 

"Yes." My voice was barely above a whisper as I lowered my head. 

"Oh, Chelsi."

"I know. Trust me, I know." I peeked up at her. 

She nudged me under the table with her foot. I raised my head and tried not to look so pitiful if that was even possible. 

"So, what time are you two going to the Pier tonight?" Blakely asked, trying to change the mood. 

My eyes widened because I forgot about the Pier tonight with Gavin. I quickly turned my head toward Blakely so he wouldn't see the stunned look on my face. The last thing I need right now is to have Gavin think I didn't want to go with him to the Pier tonight. 

"I'm picking Chelsi up at seven," Gavin said. 

"Yeah, I've got some homework to finish up before I go out tonight." I popped a cherry tomato in my mouth. 

"Have fun tonight." Blakely took a bite of her salad. "Do you want me to come over after school for a little bit?" She glanced over at me. 

"Yeah, sure. You can help me pick out something to wear." 

"I'll bring over some lattes." She picked up her phone and swiped it on. "I'm going to text Mom real quick to let her know I'm going to your house right after school." 

I knew Blakely wasn't coming over just to bring iced lattes and help me pick something to wear; she wanted to talk more about what was happening with Easton and Gavin. But, of course, I had no idea what was going on myself, let alone what I would tell her later. 

"Mom said that was fine. So, I'll go pick up the iced lattes right after school, then meet you at your house." She looked over at me, smiling with an eyebrow raised. 

"You okay, Chelsi?" Gavin reached over and placed his hand on top of mine. 

"Yeah." 

"We don't have to go tonight if you don't want to." 

I sat there for a few seconds, staring intently at our hands on the table. "No, I want to go tonight." I managed to tear my eyes away and look up into his blue eyes. And now, I couldn't pull my eyes away from his gaze. 

"Chelsi. Chelsi. We need to get going to our other classes," Blakely said, tugging on my arm. 

"Huh?" I said, still looking into Gavin's eyes. 

"Earth to Chelsi!" Blakely hollered. 

Gavin started laughing. "She's right; you need to get to class. Besides, you'll see me tonight." He got up and caressed my cheek. 

"Again, do you know what you are doing?" Blakely said, raising an eyebrow. She grabbed our bowls and headed for the dirty dishes window. 

Author's Notes: 

Chelsi is in the middle of such a mess. I wonder who she will choose. Who do you think she'll choose?

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks!