Chapter Nine: Enmity From the Mismatched

If it hadn't been for her pleading eyes, Allen wouldn't have agreed to going on a wild goose chase for Noah, not even in a million years. The tears in her eyes had convinced him otherwise. Truth be told, he wasn't all that upset about his disappearance. However, he knew the risks that lie inside the hospital, he knew the consequences that would follow. Yet he let Ruby drag him into this, both knowing full well that this was a mistake. Yet here they were, strolling down the middle of the street arms loaded. Ruby was walking at a faster pace than Allen, Allen let his feet somewhat drag. It was like a mother being tugged along by her son to see the tiger at the zoo, or some other fascinating creature that the mother had zero interest in engaging with; They just wanted to get the hell out of there. That was Allen. He wanted to go home to the apartment. He wanted to enjoy roasted beans over the flame with Ruby, then fall asleep underneath the stars and the makeshift tent. He couldn't help but turn his head and gaze behind them to see the apartment slowly getting smaller and further from view.

      Ruby caught him looking back and slowed down to give him a nudge. He shot her an offended look to which she returned one that read; Focus. He scoffed under his breath and the two walked side by side. The silence between them was becoming unbearable for the older male. Usually he enjoyed the lack of noise, but not when he was this upset and troubled. Times when he was cool and collected had the most satisfying times of silence. No Noah blabbering away in his ear, no Ruby taking Noah's side. However, it was a rare occurrence that Allen treasured. Typically short periods of time when Noah was napping or on a supply run. He could recline in his beach chair, snuggle up with his rifle, and be at peace. But there were no peaceful thoughts here, just the desperation to go home.

      The muse paused when the two survivors came across the two deceased infected that they had taken out the day before those strangers were taken into custody. Their blackish red blood that oozed from their heads had dried out on the pavement. Allen saw Ruby grimace at the sight from the corner of his eye. An ex-army soldier like him wasn't fazed. He walked up to it like it was a normal thing. Six months into the apocalypse, you'd think it would be. But even Ruby disfavored the gorey mess that followed. She turned herself away from the corpses and covered her mouth and nostrils from the stomach turning stench.

      Allen slung his rifle over his shoulder and stared at the corpses a bit longer, studying them and recalling the scene. Something struck him that should've struck him earlier. The gunshots. Two single shots would be enough to lure in the whole city, but it only brought in three survivors and a whole truck full of riot geared pricks. It was exactly why Noah hesitated, why he took the shot instead. Now his stomach was beginning to churn.

   "I'm starting to think this was my fault," Allen admitted. Ruby turned to look and she cocked a skeptical eyebrow. No way he meant to say that aloud, she figured. The Allen she knew would never admit to being wrong, no matter the circumstances. Allen slowly shifted to meet her confused gaze. "He didn't fire because he didn't want this to happen," he motioned all around the air like it was hanging above him. "The gunfire drew in those survivors. I bet they just wanted help, maybe even to help."

      Ruby shook her head in protest and reluctantly stepped closer, lifting her arm to motion towards the setting sun. He followed her motion, then scrunched his nose. "Maybe they waited to see if they were in the clear, who knows. Come on, what're the odds that this is our fault?"

      She then gestured down to the two undead corpses, then pointed to her own shotgun. Allen folded his arms across his chest when he followed her silent gestures in suit. "Yeah, I guess we're both to blame. We did both pull our triggers," he turned his body towards the disappearing sun and squinted. "Though we ought to get going. Shit gets real after dark," he forced a grin for her and nodded the direction they were originally headed. The two proceeded on, leaving the past mistake behind them for now.