Prologue

"You will marry me for the riches?"

I noticed Aaron Kingsley sharply glaring at me through my teary eyes. He could see my tears and I still didn't stop.

"Those riches are my right. I'd only be asking for what is mine." My voice cracked with each word. I feel betrayed by my own vulnerability. I was frozen in my place just staring at the stern face of my future husband. It was inevitable and I wanted to excuse myself for some privacy but I couldn't do so.

I waited for his reaction, to disgrace me for being a crybaby, and hysterically, I wanted to cry more. I want him to see me and understand what he'd dealing with for the rest of his life. I felt more tears pouring out, sliding on my cheeks and I figured how it must have ruined my mascara.

As a gentleman should, Aaron did not offer me any consolation or tissues, and I was too embarrassed to hunch over for the tissue papers settled on his side of the table. I couldn't meet his judgmental pale blue eyes and instead, I stared at my manicured red almond-shaped painted nails resting on the white cloth of the table.

I heard him shuffle before realizing he was getting himself comfortable on the most comfortable chair I'd ever sat on. Was I the cause of his discomfort? But he clearly expressed his disinterest in my tears.

"You don't have to cry," Now he avoided meeting my eyes but I noticed his eyes dropping and plump lips forming a frown, even his aura turned gloomy. I wanted to apologize for my sudden outburst and turning the atmosphere uncomfortable and I am glad that he booked a private suite for our dinner agreement. No one could see us being distressed here.

"Why..." I hesitated, convincing myself to speak out my doubts because it was now or never. I cleared my voice, "Why did you agree to marry me? I assumed you were the one who suggested this proposal?"

His reaction downright confused me the next as he left his cold steak to watch the city view of the city of Los Angeles. All the mesmerizing artificial lights did not appeal to his star-gazing eyes but he stood there for the blissful breeze. There was no moon hanging for Selenophiles to admire and Aaron averted his eyes back to me. Even at the end of the day, he managed to serve the looks in his three-piece black suit, only his blond hair ruffled up to be a mess. A hot mess...

Upon his one nod gesture, I walked up to him. My red jumpsuit fluttered due to gusts as I left the air-conditioned room to join my unofficial fiance. One thing about him was sure that he'd marry me either way, my consent is not particularly his concern.

I hold the glass railing with a soft grasp, but my gaze comprehended the depth of the below eighty floors and I felt proud to not get scared of such enormous height, unlike Aaron who unmistakably was facing opposite to avoid looking below, watching the empty wall instead. I suppose he thought we both needed some air.

"Do you have a boyfriend or boyfriends perhaps?" The question startled me. My wide brown eyes saw his calm side face, his jaw sharpening as he clenches it.

"W-What...?" Words jammed in my mouth, "What do you mean?"

"Do. You. Have. A. Boyfriend?" He emphasized each word before sighing as a substitute for getting annoyed. He didn't answer my question.

I could only think about Jade Cromwell at the mention of the boyfriend. He is far from my boyfriend. "No," I admit. I heard Aaron humming in satisfaction before leaning his back against the glass railing.

He loosens his black tie before speaking again, "Neither do I have any girlfriend at the moment." His admittance confuses me. His statement did not support our situation. His relationship status does not concern me.

"You didn't answer my question." I reminded him with hesitation, focusing my eyes on the city view.

"To answer your question, princess... then I might be reciprocating your interests." Upon seeing my relaxed posture he regains his typical arrogance. He smirks, complacent in his expressions. "You marry me for the company and I want to marry you..." abruptly he leans forward, leaving only a few inches between our faces, closing the distinction between our heights and his pale blue eyes shining like sapphire with mischievous, "I mean I do like you as a person and that makes you tolerable for the rest of our lives, but I want the funds Mrs. Anderson transferred to you."

My eyes widen at his sentences. They were totally confronting and absurd to my ears. I search his expression to convenience myself that he was only joking and although he was smirking but the mischievous glint was gone.

"Why would I do that?" I asked assiduously, hoping to hear an un-offending answer. "I don't have to sacrifice anything to marry you, Mr. Kingsley."

Formal mention of his name triggered him as if I had taunted him for his whole being but I liked testing his waters just as much as he tested mine. Though his demands indeed affronted me for their insensibility and absurdness. I am definitely not dying to marry him.

The short-tempered man he is, he snapped, "I am your only option, Ms. Stewarts." I could hear the mockery as he moved more toward me. I controlled my temptation to move back a step or two and hold my ground as if I backed down now I'd be backed forever. "Would you want to disappoint your old daddy now? I thought you were done disappointing him enough." I gasped at his words. Aaron Kingsley is cruel!

"Listen, Mr. Kingsley—"

"Be careful of your words, princess. I might cut them off." He smirks, invading my space for breathing.

"Piss off." I hissed, totally disregarding my usual demur around him. He pushes my buttons way too much than necessary. I might want to cut off his acid tongue. Next, I started storming away. His words stung me like needles, punching my self-consciousness I didn't know is so weak.

"You like me or not, Natalie. You'll marry me." I did not turn back to look at his contented expressions; neither did I regard his words any further than I already did.

___________

Don't forget to Vote, Share and Comment :)